Securing A Rebreather In A Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody uses a child car seat? Integral harness, available EPS protection in the side bolsters, waterproof and washable cover? :D

I put mine in an Ikea bag, big enough to retain any water from the unit, wing, fmcl etc. It's standing on the floor of the truck and I use a bungy to secure it, I route the bungy around the front passenger seat and clip it into the frame of the unit.
ibag.jpg

I put my JJ in the boot (trunk) of an estate car (station wagon) lying flat. I try my hardest to hide kit when it is in the car, the back seats are up, the mesh thing that is designed to stop shopping flying about is up and the cover over the load area is in place. Since none of those will help in the event of an accident I try to make sure the big lumps of metal are strapped down. I suspect the straps and anchor points would fail in a proper accident...

I have never had enough water in the can to think it could make it through the sorb to the cells.

This car is reasonably new, has leather and worth more than the rebreather. The previous car I would usually put it on the back seat or even in the footwell behind the front passenger seat. That is where I would put twinsets, but didn’t care about the plastics on the seat backs etc,

I don't dive a RB (yet!). But have a tip from my car racing days for those using seat belts.

Before you fully pull out the seat belt, yank on it so that it ratchets tight from the inertia mechanism. Then buckle in.

It's so that there is no play during braking/ deceleration.

So I tried putting the seats down and putting the unit flat in the back. This was fine for a few dives but I started having some issues with cell number 2 on the JJ. I noticed that after returning home after a dive cell 2 was very slow to respond compared to the other cells; i put in a small piece of tissue to suck the moisture from the cell and Cell 2 had more moisture inside compared to the other cells. I think this is happening because the position of cell 2 while the JJ is on its back makes it such that all condensation in the head easily drips in to the cell. The cell recovers fully after drying.

So unless i have a faulty cell (month old), laying the unit flat (can side down) is not the way the go!

So I tried putting the seats down and putting the unit flat in the back. This was fine for a few dives but I started having some issues with cell number 2 on the JJ. I noticed that after returning home after a dive cell 2 was very slow to respond compared to the other cells; i put in a small piece of tissue to suck the moisture from the cell and Cell 2 had more moisture inside compared to the other cells. I think this is happening because the position of cell 2 while the JJ is on its back makes it such that all condensation in the head easily drips in to the cell. The cell recovers fully after drying.

So unless i have a faulty cell (month old), laying the unit flat (can side down) is not the way the go!

Be careful about "drying" cells with tissue. The membrane is pretty delicate. Sometimes, if you have a reasonable surface interval, it's good to pull the head, and possibly use a fan to gently dry the cells, blowing over not in.

depends on the brand, I have transported my meg for years by laying it down. No problems

Securing A Rebreather In A Vehicle
most secure way is with handcuffs and legirons in the back seat. If you want you can drape a towel or blanket over it's head too.:lock:

I stand my rebreathers up in the back of the station wagon secured with a strap to a headrest of the back seat.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom