HELP NEEDED ASAP FOR NAVY SEAL CANDIDATE...PLEASE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Valsava, but am trying to learn Frenzel.
Well, if you are scuba-diving, then better to learn Marcante-Odaglia than Frenzel. Frenzel requires to remove the regulator from your mouth and close your lips, and possibly also make use of your cheeks for getting more pressure. It is excellent for free diving, not so practical for scuba diving...
The OP here is referring to a pressurized chamber, where his son is probably breathing with his nose, as he is not submerged in water, nor using a scuba system. In this case, Frenzel is the top method, allowing to use pressure created both in the mouth and in the nose, for maximum effect.
But when scuba diving, wanting to keep the regulator in your mouth, you can only use the air trapped above the soft palate, without making use of your mouth. And this becomes the Marcante-Odaglia method, not as effective as Frenzel in creating very high pressure inside your nose, but much more practical while breathing from a scuba system.
Then most people, including many diving instructors, do not really understand the slight difference between the two methods, and talk about Frenzel also when referring to open-mouth equalization.

Duh.....

Forgot to add that while assigned to NSW, he’ll be around operators all day long. They’ll demystify a lot of BUD/S and other training requirements therefore greatly improving his chances of passing the next time he undergoes BUD/S. He’ll still have to work hard but he’ll have a better focus for where to put his energies and how to avoid those things that wash out trainees.

If it is a congestion issue, I have two additional suggestions:
Mucinex DM (Blue box, IRC)
Neti Pot

Both of these were recommended by my free-diving instructor and definitely help students in our class.

Jackie

The Navy goes to great expense to train SEALs, they do NOT discard candidates casually. If this is an issue, and it appears it is, they will likely work with him one on one, including getting the extensive diving medical staff involved.

If he has temporary issues it would be a 'medical roll' to the next class as the first step. Not a drop. If investigation shows it is insurmountable, he would need a different career. But from your description, this is just the first sign of an issue. This is from some years ago, but I can not imagine the philosophy changing that much.

Rupturing his eardrums would be very debilitating and could permanently disqualify him. Do not have him push it or deny ear pain. The Navy and his instructors would be VERY mad at him for that. There are conditions where combat divers might do that deliberately, or knowingly, but doing it as a dumb-ass not tell anyone candidate is not a good option.

'Fred' panics 'easily' is a clear dis-qual, sort of medical as in psychological but not medical as in physical. 'Brad' has ear issues is well understood and can be investigated. Brad may well be a great operator, they would not want to throw him aside for something easy to diagnose if it can be understood and resolved.

It is odd that pre-BUDS medical clearance did not uncover this. They used to require a chamber pressure and oxygen tolerance test before assignment there.
sounds like the POT(pressure oxygen tolerance) test pre selection in screening versus already been selected, and I am sure the folks running it briefed how to clear, and a medical type looked at his ears after and maybe said something that would help. Would be unusual otherwise

I'm going to sound like a bit of a jerk here, but consider this:

Once he graduates, his fellow team members are going to be risking their lives on his ability to perform regardless of any temporary physical ailments. If, within the context of his training regime, he cannot perform a basic, necessary task without great difficulty, not only are their lives at risk, so is his. Perhaps he may consider a different career path via specialty units in the Marines or in the Army? Maybe a Ranger tab is in his future instead, where his skills can be put to use without endangering himself or his fellow team members.

Once he graduates, his fellow team members are going to be risking their lives on his ability to perform regardless of any temporary physical ailments. If, within the context of his training regime, he cannot perform a basic, necessary task without great difficulty, not only are their lives at risk, so is his.
Yes, his team mates will depend on him. And, if history and team mindset is a guide and he becomes a team member, he would die to support them. That an operator in the teams would break bones, take bullets, or rupture an ear goes without saying.

Rupturing his ears in training is not part of that path. None of his instructors are telling him to gut it out, be tough, and rupture his ears for the class. Combat, yes. Needless damage in training, no. Taking into account that broken bones, etc could be occasional parts of training, and similar causes for a rollback. And emphasizing, as others, medical roll carries no stigma. Assuming he put out his best effort in training routinely and overall. Not, misguidedly, in the specific instance of pushing the ear as far... as he could. Rupturing an ear in basic training is damage to naval resources. It is not best effort.

In training, running up and down the beach till puking or passing out, staying in the water till frozen, hamburger feet, the class taking the punishment for the errors of the one, those are how supporting the team is tested and developed in training, particularly BUDS. The Navy has not seemed to feel that rupturing ears offers a benefit in that testing and development.

It would be a shame for the young fella to be dropped from the program simply because he does not know how to "pop" his ears.

Of course, this being Monday, how did it go?

N

I remember the chamber well. they took us to 50 psi or 50 ft I dont remember. Mostly I remember how cold I felt as the pressure dropped again to normal.

Back
Top Bottom