Carnival 2020 avoid or partake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SETX scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a solo diver and usually just enjoy the quiet evenings while vacationing in Cozumel. I am planning a 7-8 day trip and curious if I should avoid the big carnival week or check it out? If staying at Casa Mexicana will the noise go late into the evening?
Thanks

We went last year; got a dinner table at Rock-n-Java, and it gave a good view of the parade. It was fun to see all the kids and the bands, but once was enough. Realize that the parade starts at the Municipal Plaza, goes north to Airport Blvd ***turns around*** and comes back down Melgar. It's a long parade, so you're looking at the official activities going on until Midnight (and I think there was a concert at the Plaza after the parade).

Do you know where your room will be a Casa Mexicana? Rooms facing Melgar are going to get a lot of noise, but given how open the atrium is, even rooms in the back may not be completely shielded. And just getting in and out of the hotel could be tough during the parades.

If it's something you're interested in, without all the debauchery of Rio de Janiero, by all means go. If you're coming to Cozumel to dive, and especially if you have an operator that departs early in the morning, you might want to choose another time.

I like Carnaval and if you haven't been, I would say go. We were use to Cozumel always in off season, the shock at how busy the island is a Carnaval was pretty cool to see. We still never had an issue eating where ever we wanted due to crowds. With that being said I wouldnt stay at Casa Mexicana during that time period. Between the parade and the concert activities just up the road it will be noisy.

I am a solo diver and usually just enjoy the quiet evenings while vacationing in Cozumel. I am planning a 7-8 day trip and curious if I should avoid the big carnival week or check it out? If staying at Casa Mexicana will the noise go late into the evening?
Thanks
I would stay somewhere else. Casa Mexicana is pretty much at ground zero for the festivities and as Christy says the party never ends. If it were I, I would get a room somewhere south of town so I could escape to it when I'd had enough.

I have stayed at Hotel Mary Carmen right by the square at Carnival and it was surprisingly quiet. I imagine Suites Colonial right across the pedestrian walkway would be the same. I would not stay at Casa Mexicana. Its got to be very noisy. In past years during Carnival, I stayed at Hotel B. It is north of town and was very quiet. I also have stayed in Corpus Christi at VillaElEncanto and it felt like the party was in the living room. Staying at El Cantil was quieter than that!

The problems with Hotel B and others in the North, Like the Villa Aldora, will make getting into town during the parades and pre parade practices difficult. Indeed, the whole week before Fat Tuesday finds getting around to be a bitch. Sounds like an in town hotel (off the main drag) may be the best bet, but surely not Casa Mexicana, or Vista Del Mar, or Barracuda if you want to sleep the nights (plural) before diving.

Yea, enjoyed one time, but no more. Even my house on Calle 13 (chedraui), 6 blocks from the main drag suffered unbearable noise from the parades and parties that went on all night.

Dave Dillehay

I have stayed at Hotel Mary Carmen right by the square at Carnival and it was surprisingly quiet.
That's become my go-to cheap hotel, and I really enjoy it - except for the one night someone nearby had a loud party. For this week, I'd want to be south of town.

That's become my go-to cheap hotel, and I really enjoy it - except for the one night someone nearby had a loud party. For this week, I'd want to be south of town.
I stayed there during Carnival. It was quiet! I was surprised! However staying on Calle 21 the noise was unbearable until 4am. I would definitely recommend Hotel Mary Carmen during Carnival.

Carnaval is fun, but one night is enough for me. We stay at Villa Aldora, north of town. It lets us get away when we want and join in the fun when we want, but it is a lot harder to get around during Carnaval. But the Villa is only a mile north of the Plaza, so walking isn’t too bad. We were there for it last year and chose to avoid it this year. If you’ve never gone, give it a try. As others have said, Casa Mexicana is probably not the best place to stay if you are concerned about noise.

Back
Top Bottom