Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody said Breakwater had 50 foot vis. I'd imagine it will be nice for the next few days but I've seen it change very quickly. I'd love to got tomorrow but I'd like to stay employed and married.

Somebody said Breakwater had 50 foot vis. I'd imagine it will be nice for the next few days but I've seen it change very quickly. I'd love to got tomorrow but I'd like to stay employed and married.

I am not sure about that. We occasionally have to collect samples there, and a few other sites along the way to Pacific Grove. We typically determined visibility from the surface down, at a known depth; and I would give it a good 6-7 meters, tops.

Not complaining; it is far better than that side of the bay has been since Summer. There was a time not long ago, where the plankton blooms were so thick, it looked as though you were diving through chocolate milk . . .

They might have been counting 25ft with each eye and multiplied by 2.

Today was a measurable 10 meters of visibility on the Monterey side; and a good 12 meters in Carmel; the best that it has been in weeks . . .

There is often a muck layer in the first several feet, if you only measure vertical viz from the surface you may not be getting the whole picture.

There is often a muck layer in the first several feet, if you only measure vertical viz from the surface you may not be getting the whole picture.

The measurement today was from a depth of ten meters, looking toward the surface; conversely, if I can clearly see a diver from a known depth; read the numbers on his tank from that surface, I can obtain a decent estimate.

One of my first gigs out of college was measuring turbidity in lakes; and I have decent grasp of distance and depth; and there certainly is no "muck layer" this week or last. It was about as clear as consommé.

Estimates that I typically hear, akin to the monstrous fish that got away, are a bit too grandiose . . .

I'm glad to get confirmation of my vis estimate of 35-40 at North Monastery in Carmel. I hope it continues. I know the swell is building. So far I'm stoked about the winter dive vis this year. The past few years have not been great.

Did 2 dives at North Monastery/Chutes today with Mubin. First dive was North Monastery. Vis was 35 ft and we saw a 5 foot shark which was not a GW or Leopard. Might have been Hound Shark or Soup Fin. Cool either way. A bit of surge with moderate waves but it made it easy to walk out.

Second dive was Chutes past the school and exit North Monastery. Low tide made it a challenge and some sizeable waves came through. Dropped and headed around to North Monastery. Vis was 40 ft. Sun was out for second dive and it was a nice day. Big school of blue rock fish.
Absolute awesomeness!

Carmel conditions are getting . . . milky, with still about 6-7 meters of visibility, this morning. Monterey was about the same; and we have a mild storm arriving this evening (or what Californians consider the apocalypse; or, at least, some rain. It was better than the weekend, I was told . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom