Tennessee woman dead - Kauai island, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Retired Tennessee woman, 61, dies in scuba diving accident in Hawaii | Daily Mail Online
A 61-year-old woman from Tennessee has died in a scuba diving accident off the coast of Kauai, in Hawaii, officials confirmed Monday evening.

Delana Kay Aerts-Miller, from Germantown, had been holidaying with her husband Clyde Miller on the island when the accident occurred on December 4.

Aerts-Miller, a retired real estate agent, had been swimming at Baby Beach in Koloa along with a divemaster when suddenly she became distressed in the water.

She was found unresponsive around 100 yards off the shore. Lifeguards pulled her back to land where they immediately began performing CPR on her on the sand.

Their initial resuscitation attempts were successful and Aerts-Miller was taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

For reasons that aren’t immediately clear, the mother-of-two was later medevaced to Queen’s Medical Center on Oahu where she was pronounced dead soon after.

Family have said she never recovered from her injuries. Kauai's Medical Examiner has not yet returned a DailyMail.com request for clarity.

Report has odd wording. Where did the DM go she was swimming with? Found unresponsive 100 yards off shore suggests the DM was no longer there?

Found unresponsive 100 yards off shore suggests the DM was no longer there?
I noticed that choice of wording and dismissed it as typical writing skills seen in news today.

I noticed that choice of wording and dismissed it as typical writing skills seen in news today.

"She was found unresponsive around 100 yards off the shore. Lifeguards pulled her back to land where they immediately began performing CPR on her on the sand."

It sounds to me like the lifeguards saw her and executed the rescue. It may very well be she was in a group following a DM, had an issue, dropped behind, and not missed.

I have heard of that happening, on occation, even to buddies.

Bob

"She was found unresponsive around 100 yards off the shore. Lifeguards pulled her back to land where they immediately began performing CPR on her on the sand."

It sounds to me like the lifeguards saw her and executed the rescue. It may very well be she was in a group following a DM, had an issue, dropped behind, and not missed.

I have heard of that happening, on occation, even to buddies.

Bob

Further down the page it states;

while Clyde and Kay were diving with a dive master, Kay was involved in a diving accident,’ the page states.

‘Clyde and the divemaster were quickly able to get Kay to shore where EMS were waiting.

However, this was reported in the Daily Mail which is not known for its accuracy, so any possible permutation may have happened

‘Clyde and the divemaster were quickly able to get Kay to shore where EMS were waiting.

However, this was reported in the Daily Mail which is not known for its accuracy, so any possible permutation may have happened

After a protracted fight with the website, I finally saw your quote. Lifeguard may have been used as a generic term for anyone rescuing someone in the water. Brits can talk funny, I've found.

Bob

I witnessed this tragedy with several friends. We started watching the couple and the dive master for about 20 minutes because we thought it was odd that they were swimming around the red dive flag at the surface for so long—we were sitting on Baby Beach. They were way offshore—the yardage in the article is misleading. Baby Beach has a ring of lava that keeps the waves from pounding the shoreline. The husband swam to shore and yelled call 911. One of us made the call. Another of us ran to the husband and helped him remove his gear. The dive master had the wife and was carrying her back to shore. When the dive master reached the “lava break line” that was where the fire department grabbed the woman.

They were using 3 devices that looked like a TUSA propulsion device. The husband said the wife had a convulsion. We were surprised the dive master didn’t know what beach he was on when he arrived onshore.

Back
Top Bottom