Georgia diver collapses dead - Juno Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an employee driving on a business trip. He pulled over and stopped. And then died of a heart attack. "Widow maker" so it really wasn't going to be survivable. But he knew something was going on sufficiently to pull over safely and put the truck in "park." Something similar could have certainly occurred here. And if the gentleman didn't say anything to the crew, then he could easily appear "normal." Certainly appears to be a medical event unrelated to diving either way.

Certainly appears to be a medical event unrelated to diving either way.
People here often post like that about incidents discussed here, even tho something about the dive really might have caused a medical event. Who knows? Some here like to pretend that scuba diving is as safe as golfing in clear weather or bowling, but I don't see that as true at all. (Eh, I wouldn't try either of those today with this knee.) As my original scuba instructor (for my OW card, not my Discover course) said 18 years ago, "Scuba is a potentially dangerous sport that we try to manage safely."

At least there were two crew members still onboard when he climbed out for his event and were witnessed "using the AED and compressions." There is usually only one aboard for my usual diving, and about all he could do is radio for help and maybe drag me aboard after ditching my gear, then head to the closest dock to meet an ambulance driver - who might not have any medics or machines onboard. I don't expect an AED or compressions when I am diving from pangas, out farming alone, or hiking alone. I do carry a PLB everywhere and a pony on all dives deeper than 30 feet (I've done a CESA from deeper when I screwed up once and air left to inflate and blow my whistle), so I do what I can to manage risks safely.

We may well never see his postmortem results. It's unfortunate that he had to go so young and with minor children while some of us who are luckier than we deserve and get to play with great grandkids. Life goes that way at times.

People here often post like that about incidents discussed here, even tho something about the dive really might have caused a medical event. Who knows? Some here like to pretend that scuba diving is as safe as golfing in clear weather or bowling, but I don't see that as true at all. (Eh, I wouldn't try either of those today with this knee.) As my original scuba instructor (for my OW card, not my Discover course) said 18 years ago, "Scuba is a potentially dangerous sport that we try to manage safely."

At least there were two crew members still onboard when he climbed out for his event and were witnessed "using the AED and compressions." There is usually only one aboard for my usual diving, and about all he could do is radio for help and maybe drag me aboard after ditching my gear, then head to the closest dock to meet an ambulance driver - who might not have any medics or machines onboard. I don't expect an AED or compressions when I am diving from pangas, out farming alone, or hiking alone. I do carry a PLB everywhere and a pony on all dives deeper than 30 feet (I've done a CESA from deeper when I screwed up once and air left to inflate and blow my whistle), so I do what I can to manage risks safely.

We may well never see his postmortem results. It's unfortunate that he had to go so young and with minor children while some of us who are luckier than we deserve and get to play with great grandkids. Life goes that way at times.

No judgment here but I am curious about taking a pony for dives deeper than 30ft. 45 ft necessary? Is that your practice? Curious, as a new diver.

No judgment here but I am curious about taking a pony for dives deeper than 30ft. 45 ft necessary? Is that your practice? Curious, as a new diver.
It's a hassle packing it & extra reg on trips, etc. but I got it early on after some experiences with boat-pick buddies diving deeper wrecks. It's a nice safety extra, and I don't trust anyone as much as I trust it. I've screwed up with it as well, but survived that learning experience and adjusted my attitude.

..necessary? Is that your practice? Curious, as a new diver.
You've probably seen in most sports that participants will do repetitive drills over and over so it's just an "instinct" reaction when needed.

A pony bottle is the same way. You'll never pre-plan to need it, but when you do, it's the same reaction drill at 15ft as it is at 90ft. I carry a 6cuft pony on every dive from 15ft at Blue Heron Bridge to the deep 120ft Jupiter ledge. I practice pulling it from it's holder all the time. I have 2000+ dives with a 6cuft pony. Every dive, every time, or I don't dive. P.S. I've never had a head on collision in my car, guess what I wear every time??

You've probably seen in most sports that participants will do repetitive drills over and over so it's just an "instinct" reaction when needed.

A pony bottle is the same way. You'll never pre-plan to need it, but when you do, it's the same reaction drill at 15ft as it is at 90ft. I carry a 6cuft pony on every dive from 15ft at Blue Heron Bridge to the deep 120ft Jupiter ledge. I practice pulling it from it's holder all the time. I have 2000+ dives with a 6cuft pony. Every dive, every time, or I don't dive. P.S. I've never had a head on collision in my car, guess what I wear every time??
What size back gas do you run? I’m trying to figure out my ideal back and pony tank combo

..I’m trying to figure out my ideal back and pony tank combo
I'd ignore back gas amounts cause a pony is for when you have almost no gas left(whether an AL80 or Steel 120, zero is still zero)

I dive a small 6cuft pony in an argon bottle holder with a rip cord. The small size of the 6cuft means that it easily fits next to my main tank and it's so small, I also take it in my luggage when going on vacation. People say a 6cuft tank is too small for the deep ledge. Remember you can survive being bent and going to a chamber, but you can't survive without air underwater. Whether you are comfortable with a 13cuft or different size don't listen to anyone that tells you it's the wrong size. Just diving with a pony of any size (all the time) is better than no backup pony at all.

And if I'm on a liveaboard cabin, my 6cuft pony sleeps in my cabin too.

IMG_6731.JPG

I'd ignore back gas amounts cause a pony is for when you have almost no gas left(whether an AL80 or Steel 120, zero is still zero)

I dive a small 6cuft pony in an argon bottle holder with a rip cord. The small size of the 6cuft means that it easily fits next to my main tank and it's so small, I also take it in my luggage when going on vacation. People say a 6cuft tank is too small for the deep ledge. Remember you can survive being bent and going to a chamber, but you can't survive without air underwater. Whether you are comfortable with a 13cuft or different size don't listen to anyone that tells you it's the wrong size. Just diving with a pony of any size (all the time) is better than no backup pony at all.

And if I'm on a liveaboard cabin, my 6cuft pony sleeps in my cabin too.

View attachment 554716

the reason I asked about the gas back was not for the amount of air but rather the size of your tank combo and weight. I’ll be doing a lot of solo shore diving. So I’m trying to take into account lugging the gear from the car to the water on my back since I’ll be alone. Currently debating between hp100 and lp95 with a 13/19cf pony

I've bought into hp100's. I am not a big guy so lp 98's on land weigh more than HP100's , but if you can consistently get cave fillson 98's will give you longer time.. OTOH if you are doing nitrox it might not really mater as much for the diving you are doing. For me a HP100 weight less than a al80 and gives more CF of air, or Nitrox, and I don't have to carry extra weight. This is all because I am being lazy about carrying gear so ....

As for a pony. I am debating a smaller pony vs and al40. I was given advice to get an al40 if I plan on doing any tech diving which makes sense as it can be a stage bottle at that point. I am trying to keep things minimalist though so have considered just doing a 19cf pony. Interested to see where you end up.

Such rapid causes of death are usually vascular in origin either CVA's or Cardiac arrhythmia. Sad and distressing for all those involved. ''Pathologists know everything, but too late.''

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom