Options for mainland before Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will have 2 full days to dive before heading to Cozumel in early January and staying in Puerto Morelos.
I have never dove a cenote so that will be one day. Which ones, I haven’t yet decided.
For the other day, I am thinking either the wreck(s) of Puerto Morelos, lionfish hunting and bull shark dives.
Can 2 of these be done in one day? Should I forget about one all together?
I have been to Malapascua for the thresher sharks. Is it a similar experience with the bull sharks?

thanks!

Looks like you may be 25 minutes north of Playa. For cenote diving, contact ProTec in Playa. I have used their sister shop in Tulum since 2011, and they have always exceeded my expectations. Their staff are professional, courteous, and qualified. Guides I have used may work from both shops. Also, they will be able to make suggestions on which cenotes to visit.

Talk to Tulaka in Puerto Morelos.

I think you will have to dive off the grid sites to find good amounts of lion fish. I did a "lion fish hunt" out of Playa a year and a half ago. The few lion fish we saw were hardly big enough to spear. The plus side is it was just me and the guide. I am sure there are places where there are tons of them but I have heard that restaurants in Cozumel are having to get them form the mainland, who knows if that is true.

Dive in Puerto Morelos Welcome to Dive in Puerto Morelos is short walk to the pier. Not sure if they do a lion fish hunt or do the bull sharks but they do Cenotes and have wrecks. The C56 Knave wreck is at about 90 feet and a nice dive. Of course your second dive would be a reef. Communication with the owner, originally through their website, was good. This was back in 2010. Going through an op in Puerto Morelos that can cover a couple of your objectives would at least cut down on transportation, although taxis are easily available if you go elsewhere.

For mainland diving, especially cenotes, I dive with Cenote Xperience a couple of times a year. I have a couple of trip reports on here about them. I dive with Martin, one of the owners and absolutely can recommend him without any reservations. His enthusiasm and love for the cenotes is contagious and our last dive at Choc Mool was the most beautiful dive I have ever been on. If it is the right time of day and the right time of year, the sun comes filtering through the water from the opening and is absolutely breathtaking. I could have blown all my air just sitting in that one spot looking up.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Definately the best dive shop I have ever dove with. From the pick up at the ferry, to paperwork, to lunch, to the diving, everything goes exactly as planned and on time.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

For mainland diving, especially cenotes, I dive with Cenote Xperience a couple of times a year. I have a couple of trip reports on here about them. I dive with Martin, one of the owners and absolutely can recommend him without any reservations. His enthusiasm and love for the cenotes is contagious and our last dive at Choc Mool was the most beautiful dive I have ever been on. If it is the right time of day and the right time of year, the sun comes filtering through the water from the opening and is absolutely breathtaking. I could have blown all my air just sitting in that one spot looking up.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Definately the best dive shop I have ever dove with. From the pick up at the ferry, to paperwork, to lunch, to the diving, everything goes exactly as planned and on time.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay
This. I took @Jayfarmlaw 's advice over the summer and made a few dives with Martin at Cassa Cenote, The Pit, and The Batcave line of Dos Ojos and have every intention of going back to make many more dives with him and CenoteXperience. THey even provide a small lunch with some of the best homemade cookies you've ever eaten. They have a small shop in Playa Del Carmen and some gear for sale if you say lose a mask, need a second stage, etc. or just want to rock a cool new t-shirt. Like was mentioned about Choc Mool, if you dive The Pit at the right time of day, you see the sun's rays shining down through the incredibly blue water and it's breathtaking. Most beautiful dive I've done to date. Definitely give them a consideration!

There's Martin during our descent into El Pit
View media item 208212
View media item 208214
View media item 208213
View media item 208221
View media item 208220
View media item 208215
View media item 208216

I have been to Malapascua for the thresher sharks. Is it a similar experience with the bull sharks?

I have not been to Malapascua; however, I have dove with the bull sharks out of the Mayan Riviera. You basically drop to a flat sand bottom at 80+ feet, the sharks do their thing, then you surface. If you haven't had experience with big sharks before it is worth it. If you have, I'd skip it and spend another day cenote diving. My 2psi.

P.S. It took a good chunk of the day to do the bull shark dive from where I was staying in Puerto Aventuras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom