Where in Asia should I go diving in May 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I responded to your thread in the Pacific islands and did recommend French Polynesia, more specifically Fakarava and Rangiroa. It is expensive but it’s all relative, a 2 week vacation for me and my husband ran about the same cost per person as 2 1 week Liveaboards to Raja Ampat (which we’re doing next year on a mid range boat). If you want sharks and big stuff it’s hard for me to imagine anyplace sharkier.

How many sharks do you count? This is a run of the mill dive at Tetamanu / south pass Fakarava
https://flic.kr/p/2hBd2bc
you can also see hammerheads and tiger sharks if lucky but I didn’t see any. Tons of blacktips, white tips, grey, lemon, and nurse sharks tho

I’ll be doing the Maldives classic itinerary liveaboard in 2 weeks but I think I screwed up and should have done it before French Polynesia, because anything less than a hundred sharks is going to be overshadowed lol. Top side I think will be similar and it is ridiculously pretty/romantic. Tetamanu is definitely an adventure / off the beaten path

If you can delay your trip to June there is the annual grouper spawning at the first new moon which I hear is really cool and have the sharks out in even greater numbers. That will be our return trip in a few years

Thanks for the post. There was 50% off flash sale on 10-day liveaboard trip from Fakarava to Rangiroa with French Polynesia Master during Black Friday, as shown, here: FYI: Flash Sale for Liveaboards - 50% off. So I grabbed one spot then for May 25 - June 4. :D

Thanks for the continued tips everyone!

I'm now extremely sold on French Polynesia/Fakarava/Rangiroa. :) It sounds incredible. I couldn't find any liveaboards that will work for our time in May 2020, but it's going up to the top of my list for the dive trip after this one.

We're currently thinking about doing 3 days in Palau (snappers will be spawning May 3-6 and I'd love to catch that) and then 5 days in Truk. Thoughts?

Is it crazy to split the trip when we should just focus on one location? Is OW with 50 dives enough for my girlfriend to be comfortable and enjoy Truk?

Nice to have such low stress questions. Any day diving is a good day, I'm lucky to get the opportunity to do any of this.

- Mike

Red Snapper spawning in Palau is just incredible sight to see from below. I saw it when I was there in December 2017. A must see phenomenon.

December 24-31, 2017 Palau Trip Report

Dan, how is it everytime I look at a post you are booking a trip? lol

Certainly gives a lie to the conception that the US companies don't offer many vacation days, lol

Certainly gives a lie to the conception that the US companies don't offer many vacation days, lol

I’m going to retire by end of April. So, I’ll have 6 Saturday’s and a Sunday in every weeks from May to infinity. :D

Dan, how is it everytime I look at a post you are booking a trip? lol

Yep, when there’s a good deal and the time and stars are aligned perfectly, you just go for the gusto. :D

Those trips are for celebrating my retirement. I’ll be in Red Sea in 3 days. Then in 2020, I’ll be in Raja Ampat in January, French Polynesia in May, Guadalupe in July, Jupiter in August, Cocos in September, Bahamas in October. For 2021, so far, I have booked Socorro in May and am working on Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua in August.

If you are interested in any of those trips, just let me know and I’ll Check if we are still have some open spots, then I’ll send you more detail info. :)

Yep, when there’s a good deal and the time and stars are aligned perfectly, you just go for the gusto. :D

Those trips are for celebrating my retirement. I’ll be in Red Sea in 3 days. Then in 2020, I’ll be in Raja Ampat in January, French Polynesia in May, Guadalupe in July, Jupiter in August, Cocos in September, Bahamas in October. For 2021, so far, I have booked Socorro in May and am working on Sangalaki-Kakaban-Maratua in August.

If you are interested in any of those trips, just let me know and I’ll Check if we are still have some open spots, then I’ll send you more detail info. :)

I am so jealous of your list!

I was thinking of going to Cocos or Socorro to see the schooling hammerheads in 2020 or 2021. Of the two which do you think is better? I was pretty set on Cocos until I read about the tiger shark attack. A friend of mine is going to Socorro next year and I am tempted, would love to play with dolphins again but I heard the hammerheads are not as reliable, and the water is colder. How would you rank Cocos, Socorro, and Banda Sea in terms of hammerheads experience? Much closer for me to fly to Indo but I don't mind travelling longer if the experience is much better- from your trip reports I gather visibility is much better in Cocos?

Do you have spots in either Cocos 2020 or Socorro 2021 trip? Either 1 or 2- but if 1, has to be female share.

I am so jealous of your list!

I was thinking of going to Cocos or Socorro to see the schooling hammerheads in 2020 or 2021. Of the two which do you think is better? I was pretty set on Cocos until I read about the tiger shark attack. A friend of mine is going to Socorro next year and I am tempted, would love to play with dolphins again but I heard the hammerheads are not as reliable, and the water is colder. How would you rank Cocos, Socorro, and Banda Sea in terms of hammerheads experience? Much closer for me to fly to Indo but I don't mind travelling longer if the experience is much better- from your trip reports I gather visibility is much better in Cocos?

Do you have spots in either Cocos 2020 or Socorro 2021 trip? Either 1 or 2- but if 1, has to be female share.

Cocos is the best one for seeing schooling hammerheads. The water is warmer than that of Banda & Socorro. Visibility there is also better than the last Banda visit I did 3 months ago. We also know their cleaning station for close encounter with them. Check this out:

Due to some cancellations we have 1 cabin available and 1 female diver is interested in taking a spot in that cabin. So you might get the cabin to yourself or share with her if she decides to join.

Gathering a group for Cocos with Argo on 10-20 September 2020

I’m not worried about tiger sharks there. As long as we are in a group, be on the lookout for each other’s back and get on the boat right away after you finish safety stop, you’ll be fine. The DM would be last to get on the skiff and he has a poker to scoot any tiger shark coming too close to you.

The last time I was there (September 2018), I did not see any tiger shark. I was so looking forward to see one and a bit disappointed for not seeing it. Hopefully I’ll see one in the next trip in September 2020.

For Socorro 2021, my group is already full for group discount but the boat may still have the upper class cabin available. As far as schooling hammerheads in Socorro, I just saw them in a distance, just like in Banda Sea. So it’s a bit of disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom