What size wing for new BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 30# oxycheq with the no STA tabs on it. I dive a 3/2 shorty and it works fine for me.

30 lbs wing is really in that "sweet spot" for lift and being streamlined. No real need for a winter wing vs summer wing.

Another consideration is shape of the wing, Apeks vs Halcyon vs Oxycheq, ect. Notice where the majority of the lift will come from on the surface and in the water and where that bubble with be when swimming.

With my 30 Halcyon I dive it with a SS back plate/Alum 80 (plastic STA) in the summer with just a rash guard and with a WSTA (6 lbs), and 4 pounds on my belt with a 5/7mm full wet suit in the winter.

A 30 pound wing is the middle ground, enough lift for most exposure suits and not too big to be out of place in nothing but a swimsuit and rash guard. I have a VDH 18 for my wife (she decided it was hers), a VDH 24 and an Oxy 18 and a Oxy 30. An 18# wing can run out of lift once you start needing weight and rubber blubber and carrying cameras etc.

N

Why is dumpable weight preferable to a balanced rig? Real question

Does a balanced rig exclude the use of a weight belt? Just wondering if I need to change after all these years.

Bob

Does a balanced rig exclude the use of a weight belt? Just wondering if I need to change after all these years.

Bob

I've always taken the term to imply external weighting not being needed.

Because it may not be needed, does not mean it cannot be helpful.

Bob

All weighting, including BP, is external and needed (where you need it). Your avatar suggests you might benefit from moving some weight around.

All weighting, including BP, is external and needed (where you need it). Your avatar suggests you might benefit from moving some weight around.

My avatar is old, I no longer even own that rig...thanks though

No, a balanced rig may or may not include ditchable weight. But I know you knew that. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom