So who’s ever brought up their second stage in a lobster bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are probably easier and less dramatic means to drop Christmas gift hints:
61fGAtHI-PL._SX425_.jpg

Seriously, glad you shared the incident.

I had something similar happen on a training dive. It was my final dive for the Self-Reliant class, and my final two skills of this final dive were to deploy my DSMB and to demonstrate dealing with an out-of-air emergency.

So I'm diving sidemount and just chillin' at about 10-15', putting my DSMB together, when it happened. Pow! My left tank's 2nd stage popped off the hose.

This was more of a "really? really? oh come on, now" moment than anything else, but yeah...the damn thing just came off, and I had a for-real OOA instead of a simulation.

Thanks for the humbling story. Glad it ended well.

:wink: Now if you were diving SM, it would have been a non-event from the start. Instead of kinking the hose you turn off the tank valve... (yes I'm evangelical about recreational OW SM).

sidemount.JPG

do you know why?

at least the training appears to have a place :)
Yeah...the regs had just been serviced, and the service tech hadn't sufficiently tightened the nut. It just wiggled loose.

And as I think about it, that's the same regulator on which the DIN post came loose and started blowing bubbles while underwater... I'm seeing a theme emerging with regards to that particular service tech.

Even so, these events kinda shook my faith in the regulators I was using, and even after the shop manager personally re-serviced them, I've had those regs sitting in a box.

BTW, anybody wanna buy two HOG D3 regs and two HOG 2nd stages?

I had something similar happen on a training dive. It was my final dive for the Self-Reliant class, and my final two skills of this final dive were to deploy my DSMB and to demonstrate dealing with an out-of-air emergency.

So I'm diving sidemount and just chillin' at about 10-15', putting my DSMB together, when it happened. Pow! My left tank's 2nd stage popped off the hose.

This was more of a "really? really? oh come on, now" moment than anything else, but yeah...the damn thing just came off, and I had a for-real OOA instead of a simulation.

So you calmly shut off the tank valve, retrieved your 2nd stage, screwed it back on, repressurized it, tested it, went back to your desired 2nd stage, then continued with you exercise.

SM rules!

Back
Top Bottom