Taking an open water student below 60 ft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you hate everything? Or just agencies? Or just PADI?

No, I have nothing against any persons or agencies in particular; but I do have animosity toward crass and cynical marketing efforts, aimed at the increasingly credulous consumer. When I was a teenager, the classes were, for the most part, one and f**king done.

"Dive Against Debris" trash collection specialty? Dear God, really? Out of curiosity, tally up what it would cost to take the lion's share of those idiotic courses.

Well, I'll never be able to flash that shiny Master Scuba Diver Card to impress the girls; never crack that . . . two percent who achieve PADI greatness. I'll just have to live with that -- diminished though I am.

Incidentally, about six percent of Navy Seal applicants qualify for the program; but, c'mon, the Navy cannot afford to be as exclusive as PADI . . .

Attachments

• seahunt3.jpg
    seahunt3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 67
The certified OW diver should not be taken and should not go past the certification limits unless on a training dive ex. AOW or deep speciality. That's what I have understood from my DM training...
My brother and I completed our OW referral on Cayman Brac in 2001. Our first dive as certified divers the next morning started with dropping to a swimthrough that began around 95' (iirc) and dumped us out at 106'. You mean this isn't normal? :)

Here's the details. It was a boat dive and our instructor was now the DM for the 6 people on the dive. He briefed on the swimthrough and let everyone know we could skip it.

COMPUTER MALFUNCTION! ABORT!

My brother and I completed our OW referral on Cayman Brac in 2001. Our first dive as certified divers the next morning started with dropping to a swimthrough that began around 95' (iirc) and dumped us out at 106'. You mean this isn't normal?

You didn't die?

@Bigbella

You have to admit though PADI marketing is really good. I say this with complete seriousness is that B schools should study how effective they are.

They are a corporation and publishing company. And they are not alone with presenting a facade of quality training across the board.

@Bigbella

You have to admit though PADI marketing is really good. I say this with complete seriousness is that B schools should study how effective they are.

They are a corporation and publishing company. And they are not alone with presenting a facade of quality training across the board.

Yeah, I know fully well that they're all repo-men. Yes, they should teach the model in business school, say, "Machiavellian Marketing at Three Atmospheres," and "Bent Economics" . . .

Yeah, I know fully well that they're all repo-men. Yes, they should teach the model in business school, say, "Machiavellian Marketing at Three Atmospheres," and "Bent Economics" . . .
Well Ford did decide for a while that it was cheaper to pay off families than fix the gas tank with side impact rupture issues. Corporations will tolerate deaths to maximize profits.

Well Ford did decide for a while that it was cheaper to pay off families than fix the gas tank with side impact rupture issues. Corporations will tolerate deaths to maximize profits.
That was Chevy and side impact with the pick ups, Ford was rear impact and the pinto

That was Chevy and side impact with the pick ups, Ford was rear impact and the pinto
My bad. The overall premise remains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom