Fear Into the Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The things to see only come up from the depths of the ocean at night and sink back into the abyss during the day. I want to do this dive but can’t convince my dive partner to proceed.

That sounds amazing. I can't imagine how tiny and insignificant you'd feel on such a dive....like your nothing, just floating through space.

Do you use lights or no? (I mean at this point I just have to look it up)

I was preparing for a night dive in the sea (Atlantic) just over a month ago. There was quite a bit of swell, about 5 ft vertical and 4 yards sideways, at the jetty which would make exit a bit tricky and the water had that sort of menacing swirling look to it so some were already a bit nervous. I was chatting to one of the group who I knew to be an experienced instructor but then she said she had never dived at night before, was there anything about night diving that bothered me. I said not really but then jokingly added that sometime on night dives I get the feeling a large fish is lurking in the darkness eyeing me up for its breakfast, putting in mildly this did nothing to boost the confidence of the members of the group who were already nervous.

That's great. That's the thing, when I'm in a group or close buddy setting I'm 100% ok. Maybe ego, maybe safety in numbers, or maybe I'm just confident that if s**t really were to hit the fan I know I can swim faster than SOMEONE in the group, lol.

Try the blackwater dive off Kona: you dangling, like a big ol' piece of bait, at the end of a 50 foot rope for 45 minutes... over a few thousand feet of dark water.

That part of your brain with the wild imagination having a 15 round boxing match with the part of your brain that tries to be rational. But that's what kind of makes it fun. And, of course, funny lookin' transparent critters with flashing lights in them floating by occasionally.

Oh, H—L, NO! I like my hard bottom here on the Great Lakes. Eff that.

Oh, H—L, NO! I like my hard bottom here on the Great Lakes. Eff that.

Come on @Marie13 ....we all float down here!
Pennywise%2C+Red+Balloon%2C+it+movie%2C+Sewer+Drain%2C+Door+wrap%2C+rm+wraps.png

That sounds amazing. I can't imagine how tiny and insignificant you'd feel on such a dive....like your nothing, just floating through space.

Do you use lights or no? (I mean at this point I just have to look it up)

Yeah, there's a lot of introspection going on during that 45 minutes.

We had lights, but they really aren't of much use except to signal your "buddy" hanging on his line 30 feet away. (When my son and I went, we had the two bow lines... I was hanging from the port side, he was hanging starboard. Every few minutes I'd flash him an "ok?" circle, and he'd flash the same back.) So we kept lights off most of the time to make it easier to see the little glowing and flashing critters. And to keep the spooky vibe intact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom