Regulator Service notes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will use a "power siphon" - like they sell for aquariums or waterbeds. You do waste water, as they use flowing water to vacuum the other vessel out, but are useful.

View attachment 551405
I can just pump the rinse water out into the garden, a little dilute salt water doesn’t hurt the hydrangeas.
But I haven’t bought a tank yet, wanted an HP80. Maybe i should forget the pony, since i have to rinse the steel tank anyway.

If one has to soak a regulator unpressurized, simply drape the stages over a broom handle placed over the soaking tub/bucket.

If one has to soak a regulator unpressurized, simply drape the stages over a broom handle placed over the soaking tub/bucket.

Good idea, I usually just rinse stages one at a time with the out of water stage elevated. My sink is next to a counter so typically lay it on counter with one stage draped into water.

When returned, there were some handwritten notes on my list of items..specifically 3 of my first stages had a note saying "flooded".

1) How can you tell the first stage has been flooded? i.e. water comes pouring out? or is there a residue left behind?

Here is an example of a regulator first stage that was ridden hard and put away wet. I cannot tell you how many regulators that I have seen in that condition; and it takes the smallest amount of water . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 206
I realize this thread has gone to sleep, but for the record, the Signature first stages are environmentally sealed. There is zero need to soak them. Just do as @couv suggested above and straddle your first on a broom handle so the seconds hang in the water and soak.
Even a Scribble first stage only needs a little rinse under strong running water to clean out the spring recess (with the inlet plugged, of course).
But the seconds need soaking. I usually hang them overnight and just shake them out in the morning.

The only first stages that need meticulous rinsing and soaking are unsealed pistons.

I realize this thread has gone to sleep, but for the record, the Signature first stages are environmentally sealed. There is zero need to soak them. Just do as @couv suggested above and straddle your first on a broom handle so the seconds hang in the water and soak.
Even a Scribble first only needs a little rinse under strong running water to clean out the spring recess (with the inlet plugged, of course).
But the seconds need soaking. I usually hang them overnight and just shake them out in the morning.

The only first stages that need meticulous rinsing and soaking are unsealed pistons.

I used a hanger to keep my first high enough while keeping the seconds in the water. Had to do a little rig but it worked

Here is an example of a regulator first stage that was ridden hard and put away wet.
Not to quibble, because rinsing is always good, but that corrosion is all external. The internal mechanism should be clean as a whistle unless the reg was flooded. That is the one beauty of even unsealed diaphragm regs: it's only the spring and cap that turns green. Doesn't affect operation in any way.

But you're still right. It shoulda had better care. And the owner could have just soaked that capped reg in a little warm 1/3 vinegar to clean off that stuff.

Here's an easy way to confirm that a reg has been flooded: unscrew the unused HP port plug
20190401_182259.jpg

That verdigris inside the port is corrosion from sea water that should never have been there. The High Pressure compartment is (should be) dry!

Not to quibble, because rinsing is always good, but that corrosion is all external. The internal mechanism should be clean as a whistle unless the reg was flooded. That is the one beauty of even unsealed diaphragm regs: it's only the spring and cap that turns green. Doesn't affect operation in any way.

It was actually internal corrosion as well (those photos were just of the interior of the adjustment screw and plate; and there was even worse deeper within -- a flood; but I still have rigs from the 1970s which are in great condition, inside and out.

Agreed about those old regs . . .

Back
Top Bottom