Help me find a new place to live.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings friends,
I’m beginning to look around for somewhere else to live.
California has become unlivable in so many ways, but I’m going to spare you all and not go on a full on tirade about it (right now).
I’m 57 yo and beginning to look around the corner to the next chapter of my life. So, within 5-10 years, maybe sooner, I’m looking to make a change and bail this place.
Any suggestions?
I have not had much chance to travel to see the rest of the country so any suggestions for vacation/reconnoissance missions would be great.
The only thing positive I can say about California right now is the weather, that’s it.
The wife likes hot and dry, I like value and economic opportunity.
I plan to work for a long time still and can set up shop anywhere.
What do you think?

You definitely do not want to come to the People’s Republic of IL, which is trying its damndest to become the CA of the Midwest. If I could find a decent job back home in Michigan, I’d move so quick people’s heads would spin.

You definitely do not want to come to the People’s Republic of IL, which is trying its damndest to become the CA of the Midwest. If I could find a decent job back home in Michigan, I’d move so quick people’s heads would spin.
I hear your pain, but why would someone enjoying California’s climate ever consider moving to Illinois ?

You and your wife are likely your own best advisors as to where you want to live. If local ocean diving is one of the critical elements of your decision, and you like warm weather and water, Florida may be a good option for you. The good news for you is that almost anywhere will be a better economic value than California. We live in Texas near San Antonio, love it here, hot and dry for the most part, low cost of housing and living, no state income tax, excellent medical facilities, several FW lakes in the area, but ocean diving requires some travel. Good luck in your search.

If you want to stay out west, NM or Utah would be my choices!

I don’t have to worry about that, the wife lived in Chicago years ago, Oaklawn to be exact, and that is definitely off the table. Nothing warm about their winters.

Lots of work in Missouri. Pay ain't worth a damn, but at least the hours suck. Ha ha!!

In all seriousness, though. Good luck on your search!

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom