Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the US and Canadian market I think you are better off spending the $150 more for a Teric. But in other markets the D5 is more competitively priced as a recreational computer.

Went with the D5 couldn't pass up the price I got. I'll post back after my trip in February for now tho I will say it is on the dim side above water but not a huge deal for me.

I have a D5 which I tend to use for holiday dives rather than my Perdix (which is great, but a bit clunky and unnecessary for simple rec bimbles).

Whilst I too was a little disappointed with the brightness of the screen above water, I actually find it surprisingly sharp and easy to read underwater. I would say that the marketing literature gives an overly optimistic image of above water clarity.

One completely subjective screen test involved taking it down to the dark depths of a local quarry alongside my Perdix. Whilst I find the Perdix screen perfect for my middle-aged eyes, I could still read the D5 without any difficulty. I think it's something to do with the contrast rather than basic brightness.

Anyway, no complaints from me. Yes, if I was paying like for like, I'd probably have a Teric, but over here with a DC keyman discount it was a fraction of the price.

I dive one. As others have said the display is a touch dim (and not as bright looking above water as pictured) but more than fine underwater.

My biggest problem is when diving drysuit the buttons could be hard to press by me intentionally but rather easy for my suit to press randomly. I made a hard cuff out of an old slate to eliminate the problem (untested but seems to do the job).

I do miss the plethora of information I had on one screen from my Mares Icon HD and the easy of button use. I don't miss the finicky dongle connector or the size it took in my carry-on.

Algorithms are rather conservative out of the box. Deep stops and additional short safety at 10' all caught me off guard the first time diving it. Fixed in settings though.

D5 Cuff.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom