Cave 1 / Intro Expiration & Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sweet so NAUI and NSS both have switched to a new model where you can penetrate to 1/3 of doubles. I wonder if TDI will do so soon as well?

Naui’s been that way for a while. I personally loved the naui’s system. I did intro to tech then cavern, then cave 1. You can now do cavern and cave 1 together. I personally think taking time between classes to learn is ideal. My wife and I are very conservative and just because we could do 2 nav decisions at cave 1, we chose to slowly progress in each cave. I think we dove mainline only in all major Florida caves many many times for a year before we considered putting in jumps. Cave 1 was rewarding for people like us. I could see how that much freedom could be dangerous for someone who’s a zero to hero nonconservative diver. It definitely could give someone just enough rope to hang themselves. I’m not a fan of the limiting intro rules.

I want to learn whatever is required to safely go to 1/3 of my doubles along the mainline. No deco, no jumps or other weird navigations. Just in and out along the mainline.

@CaveSloth I cant decide if you are just really inquisitive, trolling, or that I will be reading about you in an A&I report at some point in the future.
Good luck either way.
Adventure is adventure, only you can decide if the risk is worth the possible reward.

I want to learn whatever is required to safely go to 1/3 of my doubles along the mainline. No deco, no jumps or other weird navigations. Just in and out along the mainline.

I think you're going to be hard-pressed to find anyone here who will tell you something other than "Full Cave." It's certainly possible to dive in caves independently without the terminal certification, but you're sacrificing the benefits of having comprehensive training in a notably hostile environment.

Arguably, the purpose of incremental certification levels (i.e., Basic and Apprentice) is to add flexibility for students who need/want more practice before starting the next-most-difficult content. Incomplete training is going to be just that... incomplete.

And when there's a T 200ft in what are you planning on doing? turn around?
Few caves are out and back linear

And of course if you get off the mainline or OOA or light failures or innumerable other issues or compounding issues 1/3rd of your gas back there (happens at the worse possible time & place) unless its a very high flow system you're definitely going to die.

I seek training from a respected agency and plan to stay within the limits of that training. Thanks for the feedback.

I seek training from a respected agency and plan to stay within the limits of that training. Thanks for the feedback.

Sweet so NAUI and NSS both have switched to a new model where you can penetrate to 1/3 of doubles. I wonder if TDI will do so soon as well?

NAUI has been that way forever, this is not a new development. The NSS-CDS is 50 cubic feet maximum, so if you have a full set of 104's you're diving 1/6ths, not 1/3rds.

None of the programs is really intended to be a final end point, just a stepping stone on the path to "full cave" diver. For all intents and purposes, the NAUI Cave 1, NSS-CDS (new) Apprentice, TDI Intro to Cave, programs are very similar and are simply certifications issued along different stopping points between "non-cave diver" and "full cave diver". The limitations (diving "thirds" or not) is simply a reflection of where the person is in the training progression at the time of certification.

While this thread has all of the appearances of trolling, if you would like to discuss these programs to understand the differences and nuances, I'd be more than happy to talk with you off-line and I can also refer you to a good instructor. Being an instructor sponsor ("IT") for the NSS-CDS and a cave instructor evaluator for both TDI and NAUI, as well as a cave instructor with IANTD, I have a pretty good familiarity with the programs. My contact info can be found in my signature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom