Help me find a new place to live.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a recent fly to LA we flew over desert, then over the mountains. There was no sign of human activity, we could be flying over Sahara or over Mars. And then, all of a sudden, every square inch below was developed; there was nothing but houses, hangars and highways below. How can someone-anyone-live here?! was my thought. But then, to each his own. I remember a guy I met in Florida long time ago. He was in the Army and he hated Florida. He told me he can't wait till retirement to get out. I expressed my surprise. Lots of people plan to do the opposite, to move to Florida after retirement, no? "I hate it because it is flat!" was his answer. "I want to go back to Kentucky!" Humans can have interesting ideas sometimes.

Anyways, there is a price for everything. He had a job but it kept him in flat Florida. If some place has nice climate with no snow it gets crowded very soon, and crowding results in huge hike in cost of living. You always have to sacrifice something for something else. So I second the idea of Ashville, NC, or alike. Move here before it got too crowded.

If your primary business is creating bpw’s why not consider one of the US territories in VI, Guam, or PR? Might keep shipping costs down?
Cost of living is probably cheapest in PR and there are parts that stay pretty dry year round (south western coast). Max temp 90• minimum of 69• on the west coast every day! Good diving too! Usual round trip airfares run $300-400 to and from mainland US..........

I hate the politics of California, and as long as we have freeloaders voting for politicians who continue to support them, things will never change. You can't beat the climate, though. I can't think of a better place to live.

You are right-on except you forgot to add that the geology of California is like noother place on earth. The diversity of geology is immense. Just beautiful.

Eric,

I am a refugee from commiefornia. I live in Ohio for family reasons. The economy is booming and the civil liberties are still intact.

For a scuba diver it sucks.

How about North Carolina? Or the panhandle of Florida?

You will only escape the humidity by moving to a desert or by owning a good air conditioner.

I lived in Cali where daytime temps were up to 112 degrees. Humidity or not, it is just plain hot. 90 degrees and humid in Ohio is better than 110 degrees, for sure.

The rail trails in the Midwest and Southeast are good and the mileage is growing.

Good luck Eric as the grass is greener here,
m

Panama. Costa Rica.

Two oceans very close. Not too hot. Lower cost of living. No hurricanes. Great diving. Expat retirement friendly.

Tennessee is a sleeper. Shhh ... don't tell

I lived in Cali where daytime temps were up to 112 degrees. Humidity or not, it is just plain hot. 90 degrees and humid in Ohio is better than 110 degrees, for sure.
You conveniently forgot to mention the winters :)

I'm very fortunate to live a mile from the ocean with no freeways close by. I only drive on a freeway once or twice a year now. We have a house in a quiet neighborhood and a boat in the marina close to all of our favorite dive sites. The average temperature is 75 in the Summer and 65 in the Winter. We don't have air conditioning.
I ride my bike five times each week, about 30-50 miles per ride. I go through all of the crowded places around L.A. that I would never want to live in again. It makes me appreciate the life I have even more.

As Silt Life mentioned, the west coast of Puerto Rico would be a great fit. Great climate, very good diving in Rincon, and none of the hassles of setting up in a foreign country. I know many countries like Panama welcome foreign retirees, but is it also that easy to set up a business there? And you'd have to deal with international shipping on everything.

Curious, what civil liberties are no longer intact in California?

If I was moving anywhere in the world for diving it would be Florida. Caves, reefs, wrecks, friendly people who don't give a rats @ss if you show up to work wearing Bermuda shorts (or even without any at all.)

Back
Top Bottom