Please Don't Mishandle the Sealife!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if Bindi Irwin would agree.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

You know, I don't mean to sound insensitive, but if you screw with the bull enough times you're bound to get gored eventually. I do not agree with or condone all that sensationalist crap he did on TV. And I'm not saying it's a good thing he lost his life, but I am glad he's no longer able to harass the animals.

My grandfather used to say, "you don't go around pokin' the bear."

I get annoyed when I'm diving with someone who chases animals or does more than upset a smidgin of sand to attract the fishes. I have four kids and have no problem scolding people.

My grandfather used to say, "you don't go around pokin' the bear."

I get annoyed when I'm diving with someone who chases animals or does more than upset a smidgin of sand to attract the fishes. I have four kids and have no problem scolding people.

Agree on all of the above. IDK WTH happened to scuba instructors teaching ‘leave nothing but bubbles, take nothing but memories’ in their courses.

It is tempting to present this as "Big Bis vs. People" but in such cases there always is the fifth column of boat operators, tour guides, gift shops and eateries owners, etc. Everyone who wants to make a quick buck will vote for more cruise ships coming, come Hell or high water.
See, I feel that this is where Cayman differs from a lot of Caribbean islands. Tourism isn't the number on money-making business, and it's the expats living on the island, going out and eating that keep most of the restaurants in business. Overnight tourists spend far more money on groceries, eating and drinking out, and diving than the cruise ship folks who, when the dock is built, will be able to go back to the ship for free food, rather than spending money in the local businesses.

All of the business owners that I have spoken to, even those in the tourism trade, are dead against it.

christmas-cartoon-696x533.jpg

It seems like, to use an apt metaphor, the ship has sailed on the Sandbar. I've never been but the pictures bear out my expectations of what it would be like. I'm sure they are just today's plaything for the vast majority while a few came away with a new understanding of the critters in the water because most people get zero exposure to anything beyond deer.

I'm a firm believer in look and don't touch during diving but I'd suggest that Steve Irwin was a net positive because he exposed a whole lot of people to something they never cared a wit about previously and probably made a lot of people care something when they previously didn't at all. Yes, would be great to not touch but at the same time, his actions were night and day from someone abusing wildlife. He didn't pull it out of the tree and kick it around, he pulled it out and marveled at it while it bit him. Then he put it back in the tree. It was obvious he cared deeply and was fascinated by every aspect of an animal which rubbed off on some viewers. Judging by how ignorant many of the people are in the world about the value of wildlife, even some of my fellow divers, and where animals have a place in the chain besides our stomachs, even a small number of people enlightened would be a positive impact.

See, I feel that this is where Cayman differs from a lot of Caribbean islands. Tourism isn't the number on money-making business, and it's the expats living on the island, going out and eating that keep most of the restaurants in business. Overnight tourists spend far more money on groceries, eating and drinking out, and diving than the cruise ship folks who, when the dock is built, will be able to go back to the ship for free food, rather than spending money in the local businesses.

All of the business owners that I have spoken to, even those in the tourism trade, are dead against it.
I may be wrong, of course. But if everyone is against it, then who is for?

I may be wrong, of course. But if everyone is against it, then who is for?

It's a source of revenue for the Cayman government. This is hearsay, I have not confirmed it, but we were talking with a local business owner on Grand Cayman when we were visiting recently, and he said that the cruise ships have to pay a per capita fee for every person on every cruise ship that puts into port. Even if some passengers don't get off the boat, they still have to pay a fee. So more boats means more people and more fees.

But Cayman government spends this money to benefit the people who elected them, I suppose? And if this sourse of revenue shrinks they'll have to raise taxes?

But Cayman government spends this money to benefit the people who elected them, I suppose? And if this sourse of revenue shrinks they'll have to raise taxes?

There is no income tax in the Caymans but there are import fees, sales taxes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom