DIY Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a brand new set of XXL 720s that I would trade for the XL 720s you have. PM if interested.

-Z

I have a brand new set of XXL 720s that I would trade for the XL 720s you have. PM if interested.

-Z

I emailed the nice lady @ Showa to let her know they missed a pair of XXL. I'll see what she say's. I'm not sure it would be worth the shipping to Belgium though?

But if it'll work, I'd be happy to.

Orange is L 465 pvc (no liner on in the pic), Blue is XL 720 nitrile. You can see the difference in size. (for anyone interested in the gloves).

View attachment 555155

P.S. - my wife thinks I'm weird for making her take pictures of me in gloves so I can share them with my imaginary scuba friends:)

The 720s do fit more snugly the the PVC gloves, but they are also stretchier.

I emailed the nice lady @ Showa to let her know they missed a pair of XXL. I'll see what she say's. I'm not sure it would be worth the shipping to Belgium though?

If you can get a pair from SHOWA for free then all the better. It would not be shipping to Belgium though, as I have a US Armed Forces Post Office address (APO) so the shipping should be roughly no more than it would be to ship from where you are to NY.

-Z

If you can get a pair from SHOWA for free then all the better. It would not be shipping to Belgium though, as I have a US Armed Forces Post Office address (APO) so the shipping should be roughly no more than it would be to ship from where you are to NY.

-Z

If it works and I can help I most certainly will. Can't tell you you how appreciate I am of your support.

Based off of the 5 min I wore them I like the 720's. They are slightly narrower and as you said more strtchy.

The material does relax a bit after a few dives with them...or perhaps I just got used to them. I think I mentioned earlier that I started out using the yellow liner gloves that came with another model sample that SHOWA sent me...they worked but were kinda thick...I like dexterity so I picked up a pair of these, Dakine Storm glove liners, to try out and they worked great. Much thinner but just as much warmth:
dakine_stormliner_gloves_1_lg.jpg

I am also a skier, so I figured if they didn't work out for diving that I could use them on the slopes. They worked great under the 720 gloves in water temp down to 2-3 degrees Celsius...they would definitely for colder as well but the water temp last season didn't get any colder.

Others have had great success keeping warm while maximizing dexterity/comfort using Burton Powerstretch glove liners:
upload_2019-12-14_1-9-34.png

-Z

The yellow liners do feel a bit bulky. I'll have to check them out.

At least I'm moving in the tight direction, or at least feel like I am.

@rob.mwpropane
Maybe late but I just came across your post today, doesn't look like you found your Rema Tip Top SC4000 yet
Call one of the distributors closest to you, to see who in your area might have it in stock, Ps this stuff is not cheep
Here are some links & info that might help
REMA TIP TOP North America Authorized Distributors - Industrial Division
http://www.rematiptop.com/assets/te...P-TOP-SC4000-Cement-Bonding-Procedures-v5.pdf
Kubi Glove system is awesome, not cheep but the best I've used so far, I've used a few systems over the years, Ps Sitech Antares is junk don't waste your money
As far as gloves go I tried the variety of Showa glove & latex pull over, over the years
For the past 5 years I've been using the Showa 379, They are not cheep but dexterity, grip & durability makes up for the extra cost imo
Also have you considered using Urethane heat tape, It can be reused if you need to change a seal or glove
Dry Adhesive Drysuit Tape

@rob.mwpropane
Maybe late but I just came across your post today, doesn't look like you found your Rema Tip Top SC4000 yet
Call one of the distributors closest to you, to see who in your area might have it in stock, Ps this stuff is not cheep
Here are some links & info that might help
REMA TIP TOP North America Authorized Distributors - Industrial Division
http://www.rematiptop.com/assets/te...P-TOP-SC4000-Cement-Bonding-Procedures-v5.pdf
Kubi Glove system is awesome, not cheep but the best I've used so far, I've used a few systems over the years, Ps Sitech Antares is junk don't waste your money
As far as gloves go I tried the variety of Showa glove & latex pull over, over the years
For the past 5 years I've been using the Showa 379, They are not cheep but dexterity, grip & durability makes up for the extra cost imo
Also have you considered using Urethane heat tape, It can be reused if you need to change a seal or glove
Dry Adhesive Drysuit Tape

I contacted REMA about 2 months ago....still waiting for the call back:)

So I finally took the plunge last night. This is my thread, it was on DIY dry gloves, but its morphed into more money with (hopefully) a bigger payoff. I cut off my neoprene wrist seals and glued in a set of Si-tech PU rings in anticipation of a set of Ultima DGS.
20200311_171215.jpg

20200311_171235.jpg

20200311_172125.jpg

That was pretty scary. It took longer to pull the threads out than it did to actually cut. Here was the end result.
20200311_174537.jpg

I then taped the inside of the suit to prevent glue from getting all over the suit.
20200311_183426.jpg

I took a dremel with a 120grit sanding attachment and scuffed up the inside of the sleeve and the PU rings. It's hard to tell any difference on the suit, I think it just cleans the top part and gives you fresh neoprene to glue to. Both surfaces wiped down with MEK. That is some strong stuff!! Had a window open and it was still really bad. Should have had a fan.
20200311_191550.jpg

20200311_191555.jpg

I don't have any pictures of me gluing. It was suggested to me to mix 50/50 aquaseal / MEK. The mixture was runny but not quite like water. It set VERY fast for me. I was hoping to be able to play with the rings more, but once they were in it was a real bear to try and move. If I had it to do over again I would use more MEK, less aquaseal. It still worked though, and was better than contact cement. I'm told that's done as soon as it touches. Here's the final result.
20200311_200249.jpg

20200311_195557.jpg

20200311_200431.jpg

I'm 90% happy with the way it turned out. I should be 100% happy because it was my first time and I was definitely apprehensive throughout the process. I dry fitted 20 times before actually gluing. My glue set so fast I'm glad I'm really glad I ran through the process multiple times. I used gloves on my hands for most of the process. Here's what my awesome wife had to deal with last night....and this doesn't include the mess in the living room! All in all, it took 2 hours from start to finish. If I had to do it again it would only be about an hour including cleanup. Could not have done it without the suggestions in this thread and very special thanks to @swimlikethefish for letting me pester him with pm's, texts, and calls....especially last night!

Kitchen massacre;
20200311_191128.jpg

Edit: Rings attached in the suit this morning. Dare I say they actually look pretty good!
20200312_060254.jpg

20200312_060244.jpg
20200312_060303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom