Truth Aquatics suspending operations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conception had two escape routes, irrelevant i think
Both ended up in the galley, so very relevant.
I don't think I have ever been on a SoCal boat that would meet this criterion.
Meanwhile the USCG, in their infinite wisdom, have required that side double bunks become single bunks, 'cause the body closest to the hull doesn't have a direct escape route...
But an escape hatch that needs to climb on an upper bunk to get access to is fine?
I'd say remove the offending bunks and put a ladder instead, and leave those double bunks alone...

Correction: the Sand Dollar had a hatch to the forward deck in addition to the galley access for the forward bunks. The aft bunk room only exit was facing the engine room access though. Since the Bottom Scratcher was its sister boat, that makes two of them.

Both ended up in the galley, so very relevant.

Without changing the watertight bulkheads and configuration of the ship, it may not be possible. Even using the configuration of the Truth, where the bunkroom exits out to the back deck, the exit is technically still in the lounge/galley.

Meanwhile the USCG, in their infinite wisdom, have required that side double bunks become single bunks, 'cause the body closest to the hull doesn't have a direct escape route...

Could you please give me a link to the bulletin or regulation change? Thanks.

Bob

Could you please give me a link to the bulletin or regulation change? Thanks.
Bob
I don't have any bulletin link. I am just repeating what the crew of the Peace dive boat told me the USCG told them after their recent inspection (apparently all boats are being inspected on a rolling basis after the accident). The Magician got the same request, so I would expect this to be a universal requirement.

I don't have any bulletin link. I am just repeating what the crew of the Peace dive boat told me the USCG told them after their recent inspection (apparently all boats are being inspected on a rolling basis after the accident). The Magician got the same request, so I would expect this to be a universal requirement.

Off the top of my head, that sounds like a 25% reduction in capacity. That in itself could doom the industry, they don't run a huge profit margin to begin with. From what I've seen, limited load trips have not been that popular, due to the premium price, and this would make every overnight trip a limited load. Day trips might become more the norm, with a larger passenger count and shorter trips.

Bob

I couldn't find a source, but my recollection is that was posted earlier as an interim "recommendation" or was under consideration by the Coast Guard. Could be applying it regardless, or might be forcefully suggested.

The trip organizer added that he had been contacted by Truth Aquatics and that they had been told the same (side double bunks couldn't be kept). He also mentioned an expected 20% bump in cost per passenger, but I can't recall whether that was for the Peace or the Truth Aquatics boat.
Also, for the first time, I was not able to sleep on the Peace the night prior to the trip, as the boat didn't have a crew member available. And even if one had been available, the trip organizer would have been charged $150 for it, so yes, the cost of boat diving in SoCal is going to increase.
Would I rather pay more and feel that we have heeded the lesson taught by this accident? You bet I would.
However, I am not certain that the current USCG regulatory changes are necessarily the best to address the shortcomings revealed by the Conception tragedy.

For whatever it's worth, I'm going on an overnight to Santa Barbara island in March on the Peace. The price just went up from $170 to $235 due to the reduction in passenger load. I don't know any other details; it wasn't really a deterrent for me, though I recognize others may feel differently.

Off the top of my head, that sounds like a 25% reduction in capacity. That in itself could doom the industry, they don't run a huge profit margin to begin with. From what I've seen, limited load trips have not been that popular, due to the premium price, and this would make every overnight trip a limited load. Day trips might become more the norm, with a larger passenger count and shorter trips

Bob

When the Conception fire first happened, I remember people who dive the area were saying that due to logistics/distance, it would be difficult to dive that area with a day only boat.

The price just went up from $170 to $235 due to the reduction in passenger load.

I am fine with that. I like limited load trips anyway. Full load cattle transports were not enjoyable for me.

I will now have the entire fleet available for diving the Channel Islands without having to marry my schedule with limited load trips. I don't think I am being selfish, just say'n.

It seems Truth is making some sensible changes and policy but to expect 100% safety in all things is unreasonable.

So profound, it needs iteration. A person could stay at home for the rest of their life and get killed by lighting, house fire, sink hole, earthquake, flood, act of violence, or etc.

"Mother nature is not out to get you, she just doesn't care!" @Bob DBF

My cousin was healthy, retired, and active. He woke-up 2.5 months ago with some blurred vision. They found a small spot on his scalp. It was skin cancer. It was removed and some high tech procedures were used to ensure that it had not reached the brain. He died last week.

I am in San Diego. We were eating our Point Loma Seafoods Fish San, Crab San, Fishplate, smoked wahoo and smoked salmon outside while looking at the sportfishing fleet at Fisherman's Landing.

They are essentially the same boat design as Conception. How many people-per-night have slept below decks without any casualties from within the fleet? Thousands and thousands. A ROM would produce a figure in the millions. Throwing the baby out with the bath water does not seem wise to me.

And for the want of a required roving fire watch, here we are.

cheers,
m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom