Official Reef Re-opening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't get into this pissing match too far, but I still say divers have the smallest impact in this.

We received the flags today - they are very poor quality and won't last a week in the wind.

upload_2019-12-13_13-58-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-13_13-57-29.png
    upload_2019-12-13_13-57-29.png
    517 KB · Views: 66
...and that one expired in July 2018.

Christi, Rivera -Mayan-news.com is reporting 1 of the 3 areas (El Cielo) will remain closed and that the dive operators have agreed to improve sustainable practices as a condition to reopening of the reefs. Do you know what the agreed to "improved sustainable practices" are? Has there been any discussion about having divers decontaminate their gear at the end of each day, which is the recommendation of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary to deal with the Stoney Coral Tissue Loss Disease. See Citizen Participation | Florida Reef Tract Coral Disease Outbreak | Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary SCTLD is much more insidious than prior bleaching events or coral diseases due to the high mortality rate of the 22 species of coral that are affected. The U.S. and Florida governments have authorized the removal of heathy corals from protected areas to create "seed banks" at universities and aquariums around the country for the future because of fear that the 22 species will go extinct from the disease.

Christi, Rivera -Mayan-news.com is reporting 1 of the 3 areas (El Cielo) will remain closed and that the dive operators have agreed to improve sustainable practices as a condition to reopening of the reefs.

Is there a reef at Cielo? I have only been to the beach and sand flats there; I didn't see any coral there of the type that is being affected.

Are the dive ops going to put some sort of disinfectant into their rinse tanks?

...and that one expired in July 2018.
No - that is not the expiration date - it is the permit number renewed in 2018

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom