Bonaire - First Time, Solo Traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings. I am contemplating a trip to Bonaire as a solo travel sometime this spring. What are some "must-do" dives? Any particular dive resorts that are recommended? I was probably going to AirBnB, so I'm not looking for a place to stay. Most importantly, how accessible is everything for a solo traveler? I assume, much like dive shops in the US, I can go on guided trips. Thank you ahead of time.

Maybe my research notes write-up for Bonaire can help. In Post #6 I included some popular sites; off the top of my head, for a 1st timer who will likely to some topside exploring and won't be doing as many dives, I'd suggest maybe a Karpata & Tolo trip one morning (since either commits you to a one way road and a long trip home), 1,000 Steps, Oil Slick Leap, the Cliff, Bari Reef, Hilma Hooker (wreck dive), Windsock (entry/exit pretty easy, that big pier makes knowing where to get out after night dives easier), Angel City is nice to swim out to the exterior portion of the double-reef system, Salt Pier, and for sheer lushness, I favor Sweet Dreams way south.

At the end of those notes. I posted a link to my Oct. 2019 trip report; I had an 8-day stay at Sand Dollar Condo.s (Studio Unit F1), and used Dive Friends for scuba services. Was quite happy with the arrangement.

A number of op.s do boat trips; Buddy Dive Resort, Dive Friends, Captain Don's Habitat and WannaDive, for example.

Are you thinking guided shore diving? I only know them by reputation, but V.I.P. Diving I believe offers that, and their reputation was quite good when I heard them discussed.

On the east coast ('wild side'), Bas Tol has an excellent reputation for guided shore diving, and he guided me on a dive at Cai once; I recommend him. That is a different kind of experience than the mainstream west coast sites.

Be mindful the term 'resort' on Bonaire may not mean what some think of elsewhere when they hear the term. There might be a pool and a volley ball net somewhere, or maybe somebody put in a sand patch.

If you want small, cheap and simple, consider the Dive Hut. I stayed there back in 2012 and liked it for a budget trip.

Richard.

I'd be cautious of going in the spring if you plan on shore diving. I've gone September through January and was fine. Last year I went in March and the wind was howling - continuous 20 knots. Entries were iffy and th visibility was pretty awful. Dive staff said this was normal for that time of year. Don't know if it's true, just my experience and what I was told. There were still some places where I could enter and exit but a lot of dive sites were just too dangerous, with high surf and a lot of current. And visibility was down everywhere.

Dive staff told me October was the calmest time. I found January to be OK but the vis wasn't as good as Oct-Dec. I don't think diving from a boat would be a problem that time of year and visibility might be better off Klien Bonaire.

All my trips were solo and I never had any problems diving solo from shore except this past March. Solo diving does require a card and a pony (if you tell them you are diving solo). You can rent a pony there. I always use Dive Friends Bonaire. Tons of places to pick up tanks and they run daily boats. I also rent an apartment rather than going to a resort. All the resorts require doubble occupancy and an apartment is a whole lot less expensive.

As far as must do dives - everyone is different. I though Hilma was a total yawn and a lot of people love it. My top dives are the fuel pier across from the airport (not marked) for an easy entry & lots of fish. I head south in the morning to hit Red Beryl, Tori's Reef, Alice in Wonderland, Invisibles and Angel City. Afternoons I go to Cliff and definitely do a night dive there to swim with the tarpon. Up north I love Tolo.

Hi
Was last in Bonaire in April 2019 and the diving was great. Same in April 2018. I've stayed at Divi and Capt Don's. Both dive resorts. Their dive shops push (moderately) you to spend your money. Personally next time I'm down in Bonaire (likely March or April 2020) I will likely do the DIY approach - and stay at Den Lemans or Sand Dollar or something similar. I've used Dive Friends a few times and have had positive experiences each time. DFs have numerous locations throughout the west side of the island. As far as shore dive recommendations, there are roughly 60 of them. Drrich2 has a great review of his experiences earlier this year. Any dive is a good dive. Just make sure you have thick sole dive boots as most shorelines and some entries are hazardous to bare feet. I've sone solo diving at both Divi and Capt Don's. In both cases I just grabbed my tank and went. I also kept my maximum depth at 40 feet for my solo dives. If you want to go on a guided dive check out Paul at Bonscuba.com. I did and had a blast. The other dive shops also offer guided dives including DFs and the resorts I've been to. Dive safe and enjoy Bonaire. Bonaire is definitely a diver's island.

I can second that getting tanks from Dive Friends might be an issue if you do not have a dive buddy and don't have a solo cert card. It's not "illegal" to dive solo but they can reserve the right to refuse renting tanks to you. (It may be serving to sell their "self-reliant diver" course.) Some resort shops (e.g. Cap'n Don's) won't bat an eye about solo diving, but as was said, you pay for double occupancy at the resorts, so getting an apt or the like makes more sense for the solo traveler.

Just tell wherever you are getting tanks from that you intend to meet up with someone. That is if you intend to solo dive. Some of my favorites are Karpata, Tolo (head to the left facing the ocean), Alice in Wonderland (cross over to the second reef and head toward Angel City before turnaround). Salt Pier, 1000 Steps (if you`re up for it, only 87 steps). Pretty much any dive site is good!

I can second that getting tanks from Dive Friends might be an issue if you do not have a dive buddy and don't have a solo cert card. It's not "illegal" to dive solo but they can reserve the right to refuse renting tanks to you. (It may be serving to sell their "self-reliant diver" course.) Some resort shops (e.g. Cap'n Don's) won't bat an eye about solo diving, but as was said, you pay for double occupancy at the resorts, so getting an apt or the like makes more sense for the solo traveler.

If you don't tell Dive Friends that you are solo diving when you fill out the paperwork (release) there is absolutely no issue. No one even looks at you when you take tanks out. You just record the tank numbers when you check them out and when you return them. No one is even there to make sure you don't cheat. No one there to see if you have a buddy or not.

We typically go last 2 weeks March. There have been some windy events that have kept us off certain sites, but we can normally find somewhere. For solo travelers I recommend boat diving to start. You can meet divers and ask to accompany them if they shore dive. Happens to us all the time. Can't miss - Salt Pier, Hilma Hooker is the signature recreational wreck, there are some other small boats on shore dives. I'm partial to South side of Klein sites - many have a sandy plateau 15 - 30 ft that's perfect to group the divers prior to dropping down the side. On the return the plateaus are oft filled with beautiful soft corals housing sharks, rays, groupers, squid, juvi you name it. For a photog/video person like me, it's a dream. Ambient light, off gassing in shallow, plenty of critters, burn some air. Bonaventure to Southwest Corner are the sites I refer to. Southwest Corner can be a challenge - its a convergence and wind and water impact the ability to dive it. But the shallows!!! On the mainland - the southern sites are a bit of a swim out. Invisibles and Toris are my favs along here. Central - Donkey Beach -across from the airport, Kharon mentions it above, easy entry & the mooring balls for ships make nice guides. Bari Reef, Buddy Dive, Cliff, Small Wall, the Andreas' - close to shore. Heading North - Tolo or Ol Blue - easy entry, pretty site. Further North, unmarked sites Tailor Made, Candyland. The fishing village remains on my to dive list. Plenty of folks you can hire - Bas Tol is amazing on the East side, VIP offers concierge style. Ebby & his boat for diving, great if you have a small group and want to hit some out the way sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom