Why DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep me posted if you make it back here, a good friend of mine works at a dive shop in Okinawa, I could hook you up and if the stars align even come down for some diving. Best diving Japan and some of the best diving I've ever done.

Will do!

Keep me posted if you make it back here, a good friend of mine works at a dive shop in Okinawa, I could hook you up and if the stars align even come down for some diving. Best diving Japan and some of the best diving I've ever done.
I might be interested to join in for the fun.
Flight from HK to Okinawa is NOT that expensive.
Is May good time to go there?

I might be interested to join in for the fun.
Flight from HK to Okinawa is NOT that expensive.
Is May good time to go there?

May is pretty good. It is before typhoon season, so not likely to get blown out for a week when one of those things comes crashing through. Water temps are a bit colder than summer and fall, about 74-78 degrees F, 23-25.5 C in May. In my seven years there, January and February diving could be pretty abysmal because of weather, but you could generally find some place to dive. I still know some charter operators on the island and a civilian dive shop or two (or at least I did as of 2014 when I left). If you like wrecks, I would recommend the USS Emmons, a minesweeper/destroyer which sunk during the battle of Okinawa in 1945. BTW my avatar picture is at the Emmons site, and the hunk of stuff in front of me is the engine of a Kamikaze plane. Depth there is about 145'/44.2m. . Lots of other shore and boat diving sites to be had. If we go it won't be until later in the year, and plans aren't solidified yet. Let me know if you are going in May, and I'll give you some names of a couple of charters and shops that I know of. It looks as though Simon knows of at least one as well.

The big guy in the attached video is Chuck Decesare, who runs North of Nago Dive Charters. I've been on his boat on many trips to the USS Emmons.

May is pretty good. It is before typhoon season, so not likely to get blown out for a week when one of those things comes crashing through. Water temps are a bit colder than summer and fall, about 74-78 degrees F, 23-25.5 C in May. In my seven years there, January and February diving could be pretty abysmal because of weather, but you could generally find some place to dive. I still know some charter operators on the island and a civilian dive shop or two (or at least I did as of 2014 when I left). If you like wrecks, I would recommend the USS Emmons, a minesweeper/destroyer which sunk during the battle of Okinawa in 1945. BTW my avatar picture is at the Emmons site, and the hunk of stuff in front of me is the engine of a Kamikaze plane. Depth there is about 145'/44.2m. Lots of other shore and boat diving sites to be had. If we go it won't be until later in the year, and plans aren't solidified yet. Let me know if you are going in May, and I'll give you some names of a couple of charters and shops that I know of. It looks as though Simon knows of at least one as well.

The big guy in the attached video is Chuck Decesare, who runs North of Nago Dive Charters. I've been on his boat on many trips to the USS Emmons.
Quite a history for the Emmons

I am afraid it has to be May or early June in 2020.
It is either Orchid Island(Republic of China) or Okinawa.

Update:

I received a replacement case and barrel from @Kupu this morning, thanks a bunch.

Cleaned up and overhauled reg, works beautifully, my friend, Masaya, will be so happy. I'll give it to him on his 60th end of January. Thanks once again for all the very kind offers of assistance, wouldn't have been possible without you guys.

9DB324BA-E50A-4187-A91A-55A88053C17F.jpeg
AF1CD129-08DA-4866-AB84-940F1E282DA7.jpeg
3F4F61A7-3785-4B3B-8579-71232BDA1946.png
1F036BDA-7DED-40E9-AEAF-810E592A8007.jpeg

Simon, though ultimately it isn't my offer being the one, I want to see a picture posted here of your friend diving his replacement reg (anticipate a big smile!). Good on all you guys who came to the plate to help!
Don't forget to post the photo as requested, Simon!

Dang, a Hot Cover cover to boot!

Back
Top Bottom