Perdix & Deco time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

As some may know from my other threads, I received a new perdix AI because mine malfunctioned (wouldn't always turn on) a day before my trip to Sulawesi, Indonesia.

Anyways, it seemed I was always getting into deco really quickly and for long periods.
I dived all summer here in the UAE (more or less the same profiles as Indonesia) but I ran into deco quickly and quicker than my dive partners and for long deco times. Sometimes as long as 16 minutes (screen shot below). I hadn't changed the settings on my new perdix.

Most times my dive partners would end the same dive as me with no deco stop required - whereas I would have at least 7 minutes. Granted they were on Suuntos - but still. There wouldn't be such a variation between brands.

Very weird. I cannot fathom what happened.

pzl click here for snapshot:

https://i.ibb.co/N6DXNKR/12-Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• 12Untitled.jpg
    12Untitled.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 12-Untitled.jpg
    12-Untitled.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 12-Untitled.jpg
    12-Untitled.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 90
With GF 30/70; that is to expect, your DC is set very conservative.

thanks for the response

I just checked my dive computer settings on my previous watch (that malfuctioned).

It was

40/85 from dive 1 to dive 45/85

then somehow on dive 48 it became 45 / 95

Then when I updated the firmware from v65 to v71 it went to 30 / 70

I understand that a firmware may change my GF, but weird that it changed from 45/85 to 45/95.
Fairly certain I didnt change GF values...

Well, anyway. If you feel your deco times are getting longer then previous, this is the first thing to check.

Also, I change GF values according to expected water temperature, expected currents, repetitive dives etc. It is not something that is really static for me.

Well, anyway. If you feel your deco times are getting longer then previous, this is the first thing to check.

Also, I change GF values according to expected water temperature, expected currents, repetitive dives etc. It is not something that is really static for me.

Adjusting GF seems logical for someone as experienced/knowledgeable as yourself. For myself, I'd prefer to set something moderately conservative and leave it as it is.

Especially because 90% of my dive profiles are the same. No extreme variations in depth/temperature/current.

When my Perdix came it was set to 40/85 in rec mode which I think is the their default. At this setting it will likely be more conservative than the average rec dive computer, which tends to be closer to the 45/95. Set it to that if you want to have similar NDL to the Suunto.
(edit) Well, similar for the 1st dive.

Adjusting GF seems logical for someone as experienced/knowledgeable as yourself. For myself, I'd prefer to set something moderately conservative and leave it as it is.

Should've bought an Eon, then. Shearwater's target user demographic is people who know what they're doing and why, those of us wise enough to know we haven't a clue may be better off with something SB-disapproved.

Should've bought an Eon, then. Shearwater's target user demographic is people who know what they're doing and why, those of us wise enough to know we haven't a clue may be better off with something SB-disapproved.

I disagree. It ships in Rec mode and has 3 conservative settings that are easy to change. Its default is medium (40/85). Low conservative setting is similar to basic rec computers.

Evidently not similar enough for the OP.

When my Perdix came it was set to 40/85 in rec mode which I think is the their default. At this setting it will likely be more conservative than the average rec dive computer, which tends to be closer to the 45/95. Set it to that if you want to have similar NDL to the Suunto.
(edit) Well, similar for the 1st dive.

Yes, OC Rec is 45/85 and apparently medium conservatism and you cannot change it.
On version v65 OC tec, default gf is 30/70 but you can change it.
Because I collected the replacement watch while traveling, I didn't want to meddle with gf settings. Had little access to the internet. Plus, it seemed off in a conservative manner, not chaotic. It was giving me unconventional/premature (to me) excessive decompression stops as opposed to long ndl and/or little decompression stops. So I erred on the conservative side and left it be. I knew it was extra conservative because dozen others I dived with didn't even have deco stops and I had.

Fair point. But I could utilize a perdix without being as knowledgeable about it's settings as others.

Back
Top Bottom