Fiji - Voli Voli or Wananavu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoobles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bula! My husband and I and some friends (between 2-6 other friends) are going diving in Fiji in April 2020 and are debating between Voli Voli and Wananavu for the first part of the trip (for a week). We will then go to the Taveuni island for the second half and have picked a resort there already.

On emailing the resorts, Voli Voli seemed more with it on responding to pricing (first response had all the info I needed) and Wananavu we are on like email 8 or 9 to get the info I need, but Wananavu looks nicer room wise.

We were wondering if anyone has stayed at Voli Voli and Wananavu and have any comparison or feedback on the lodging, food and diving. We don't have kids, so not looking for family friendly, but looking for clean well appointed rooms, good food (I have a food allergy), and good diving with good dive master to diver ratios.

Thanks all!! Any help appreciated!

Bula! My husband and I and some friends (between 2-6 other friends) are going diving in Fiji in April 2020 and are debating between Voli Voli and Wananavu for the first part of the trip (for a week). We will then go to the Taveuni island for the second half and have picked a resort there already.

On emailing the resorts, Voli Voli seemed more with it on responding to pricing (first response had all the info I needed) and Wananavu we are on like email 8 or 9 to get the info I need, but Wananavu looks nicer room wise.

We were wondering if anyone has stayed at Voli Voli and Wananavu and have any comparison or feedback on the lodging, food and diving. We don't have kids, so not looking for family friendly, but looking for clean well appointed rooms, good food (I have a food allergy), and good diving with good dive master to diver ratios.

Thanks all!! Any help appreciated!
Bula

I dove with Wananavu in late August '18 and can enthusiastically recommend their dive operation. I was told by another couple staying there that the restaurant food was just 'meh.

Unless you really want to stay on the resort, I'll suggest you have a look at the following Dreamview Villa on Fiji's Stunning Suncoast. Re-opening 1st Nov 2017. UPDATED 2019 - TripAdvisor - Rakiraki Vacation Rental

We had the condo to ourselves. Very nicely furnished and the view is spectacular

The condos are up the hill from Wananavu and they can provide lunch/dinner if you request it. BTW, they are superb Indian cooks. The only negative is that if you do not have a car (we did) it would be a major hike up that hill.

As for diving, if conditions permit, pay the extra money to dive the 'Passage' (Bligh Strats). Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it.

Thanks for the info @JohnN. We may end up with quite a few of us on this trip so the resort is just easier.

Do you know how many divers to dive masters there were at Wananavu? Or how many folks are on their boats?

Thanks for the info @JohnN. We may end up with quite a few of us on this trip so the resort is just easier.

Do you know how many divers to dive masters there were at Wananavu? Or how many folks are on their boats?
6-pack (although there were only 3 divers when I was diving), 1 DM

You've probably made your attangements already, but here is my 2 cents. My husband and I stayed at Wananavu a few years ago. Don't know about Voli Voli. We wouldn't go back to Wananavu for several reasons. The room was fine and the hotel grounds very pretty. The food ranked from half-way decent to terrible, in both our opinions. The dive operation was good, but know that the boat ride to the Bligh waters was quite long - at least 45 minutes, I believe - maybe longer. The diving was good, but in our opinion, not spectacular. On that trip, we also went to Sau Bay resort, just off Taveiuni - a tiny resort which we loved, and where we felt the diving, mostly on Rainbow Reef, was a whole lot better. If we were to go back to Fiji, we would go to a different area entirely. Anyway, good luck and have fun.

We have been to Wananavu 4 times and will be back in August. The resort is lovely, the people wonderful, food was good, but repetitive after 2 weeks. We were there in April last year and only got out to the Bligh 4 times.
We are going in August this year, which seems to be a better time to get to the Bligh (the same for both resorts)
Our friends went to VoliVoli and loved it, although more expensive. We have also been to Taveuni and stayed at Garden Island

A little late for the OP, but..Went to Wananavu a few years ago. The local people were very nice, although I found the western staff a bit stand-offish. The resort is very pretty, but not much going on, so my wife, daughter and son were a little bored after a few days as they weren't diving (don't ask me why). I have a low bar for food and didn't mind it, wife didn't like it. Food/Drinks seemed somewhat expensive. I found the dive staff very nice and the diving nice, but they really didn't try to have anything other than 1 boat, 2 dives. They really didn't try to get a 3 tank or additional 2 tank ...even though I asked. I think I may have even offered to pay up but they seemed really happy to be off and gone after 2 dives. There were a few cultural trips off the resort that were interesting. Not sure I would go back.

We went to VoiliVoili with ScubaBoard in June. The first week we were in Fiji we were at Beqa Lagoon and our second week was at VoiliVoili. VoiliVoili resort is built on a hillside so every room has a wonderful view. The rooms were spacious, clean, and well equipped. The dive operations was excellent! Our meals were included in the price, and there was always something for a picky eater like me to enjoy. The staff was very accommodating and ready to help with any questions we had. I'd definitely go back there again. The diving was awesome!

I can't compare it to Wananavu since I've not been there.

Hi Snoobles :)

We have a relationship with Voli Voli and can recommend them. As mentioned above the rooms sit on a hillside and have really nice views. The dive operation is good and sites not too far by boat.

I see you've already been in touch with the resort. They are pretty good and should have given a group discount.

I hope you have fun & great diving at either resort. The diving around that area is awesome!

Kind regards
Terry

Thanks all for all your amazing feedback - we booked our trip late last year and are staying at 2 resorts - The Remote Resort (not a dive resort - a boutique resort with luxury villas) on the east side of Vanua Levu and diving Taveuni from there, and then Wananavu because we wanted the big 4br with the pool (even though we only have 4 pax - it was the same price as 2 oceanview honeymoon villas) - hope the food at Wananavu turns out to be ok.

1) anything that is a must do/must see (besides diving of course) on the east end of Vanua Levu, Taveuni or north end of Nadi?

2) Anyone know about the state of going to Fiji with Corona virus on the loose? I checked the state department and don't see anything. We leave late April 2020.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom