Odd Question regarding SAT diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,

I own a recreational scuba center and recently a Bell / Saturation Diver has asked for work as a recreational Divemaster. He is a not a certified recreational Divemaster or Instructor with an of the agencies. His certification comes from the Association of Diving Contractors International as a Bell / Sat diver. Expires 2022. I know he works locally in the commercial diving roll for the cruise ship industry, so he is legit qualified.

I'm having difficulty finding information regarding legalities regarding the pseudo industry swap. Obviously I don't want either of us to find trouble should stuff go sideways on a dive. Would his Sat certification qualify him to work as a recreational Divemaster?

Did the Sat Dive cert cover leading / supervising recreational divers? Probably not.

Similar to how even Olympic level swimmers need to take the swimming instructor course before they can teach beginners swim lessons

Not really. Apart from basic theory and physiology, recreational scuba diving and Sat diving are very different things...

What does your Mexican Insurance policy say?

Did the Sat Dive cert cover leading / supervising recreational divers? Probably not.

Similar to how even Olympic level swimmers need to take the swimming instructor course before they can teach beginners swim lessons

Not really. Apart from basic theory and physiology, recreational scuba diving and Sat diving are very different things...

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. Mostly I just know nothing of what a Sat Diver cert entails, pre-reqs etc. Appreciate the help.

You also need to understand what limitations are placed by your training agencies on DMs used in their programs. I have asked PADI before, and in order to use a DM as a certified safety assistant in a PADI course, they must be a PADI DM - cards from other agencies do not qualify. I don’t know about SSI rules, your other agency.

You also need to understand what limitations are placed by your training agencies on DMs used in their programs. I have asked PADI before, and in order to use a DM as a certified safety assistant in a PADI course, they must be a PADI DM - cards from other agencies do not qualify. I don’t know about SSI rules, your other agency.

Thanks, yes. Our DM's don't assist on training dives.

I saw a card carrying commercial diver get turned down for nitrox fill at a sport diving store because he didn't have an agency nitrox card.

I saw a card carrying commercial diver get turned down for nitrox fill at a sport diving store because he didn't have an agency nitrox card.

Not surprising, but also why I'm here asking. I know the guy is a legit qualified diver, and he already freelance DMs at many shops around the island, so it felt weird for me to simply say "no you are not qualified." But alas that does seem to be the case.

I once had a very well known PADI store in the Bahamas call me to verify my students SSI certification was legit, and then even after speaking with the certifying instructor refused to accept the SSI certification.

Depending on where the training has been done, it’s possible/probable that he would have had Scuba training at some point, and maybe even worked with Scuba at some point in his career, but unless he has gone diving regularly while on leave, he’s going to be pretty ‘rusty’...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom