Perdix & Deco time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your response. I am diving recreationally and will be with my family who are very inexperienced divers. I probably will leave the default settings as it is now and see how it goes. My backup on this trip will be my aqualung i300c. Was thinking of letting my Wife or Daughter use the suunto core.

I could use Nitrox, might not be a bad idea.

Glenn

I get your point and it's valid.
But he wasn't recommending this GF profile - shearwater is , when they set it as default in Open Circuit Recreational diving mode.

He's only saying that I can match this default setting when I use Open Water Technical dive mode.
45/95 is not the rec mode default, the 40/85 one is. Taking defaults as a recommendation is pushing it too, I don’t think Shearwater intend to recommend 30/70 (the standard aka tec mode default) to anyone.

My opinion is that the people selling GF computers are explicitly NOT recommending anything, they are saying “read this and decide”, after that it is all the user’s problem.

Are you sure about recommending 45/95 for a person who professes not to know much about deco and the risks? Maybe he is diving in the cold, old, fat, drinking in the evening, doing repetitive dives, bouncing up and down, etc..

Personally I am much less scared by people executing simple backgas deco dives than those doing four to the NDL dives each day for a week.

And hey now, hold on.
:)

I never professed to anything.
I know what PADI says is enough to know - which I realize amounts to a single grain of sand in the Empty Quarter of diving.

45/95 is not the rec mode default, the 40/85 one is. Taking defaults as a recommendation is pushing it too, I don’t think Shearwater intend to recommend 30/70 (the standard aka tec mode default) to anyone.

My opinion is that the people selling GF computers are explicitly NOT recommending anything, they are saying “read this and decide”, after that it is all the user’s problem.
I think 45/95 was a typo because he referred to the default.

If Shearwater don't intend to suggest any settings, then I suppose the computer should be programmed in a way that forces the user to input a GF setting.

I could use Nitrox, might not be a bad idea

Do that! Probably the single most effective way to improve safety. Obviously respect the MOD and take care if doing the wall dives.

If you are expecting to “take care” of your wife and daughter you might want to make sure you set the computer you wear such that you have early notice that they might run out of NDL. Using nitrox though you are more likely to be gas limited.

Probably the single most effective way to improve safety.
Only if you leave your DC set to air right? If you still dive to your NDL on nitrox you get the same loading as diving to your NDL on air.

I think 45/95 was a typo because he referred to the default.

If Shearwater don't intend to suggest any settings, then I suppose the computer should be programmed in a way that forces the user to input a GF setting.
That would just make life harder for people and result in bad stuff when someone jumped in the water without setting the deco model up. It is bad enough there even being modes like gauge mode on a computer to be used by novices. Sometimes they never notice the lack of an NDL.

Only if you leave your DC set to air right? If you still dive to your NDL on nitrox you get the same loading as diving to your NDL on air.
No, it is always good.

First, you are unlikely to be NDL limited, more likely to be gas limited so do have a reduced N2 load at the end.

Second, if you have some event on the dive that forces you to the surface (the risk of which is why we want to respect NDLs at all) then the resulting gas load and ascent will be less risky.

Third, NDLs are about the leading tissue, once more than one dive happens, or doing multi level dives, it all starts to get less obvious. Less nitrogen is less nitrogen however.

In a place like Cayman you are likely to be doing some time shallow at the end, on Nitrox you will be off-gassing more effectively. Double win, less in, faster out.

I am a huge fan of nitrox. I try to always use it.

Are you sure about recommending 45/95 for a person who professes not to know much about deco and the risks? Maybe he is diving in the cold, old, fat, drinking in the evening, doing repetitive dives, bouncing up and down, etc..

Personally I am much less scared by people executing simple backgas deco dives than those doing four to the NDL dives each day for a week.
This is only my opinion. Of course I don't know his fitness, drinking habits etc... For non-deco dives I run 45/95. I have also read on this board (@scubadada I think?) that 45/95 matches up pretty well with DSAT that Oceanic computers run. I don't think people running DSAT are getting bent all the time. I could be wrong.

For liability purposes @Corrupted_Diver don't set your GF settings based on my comments. :)

I am a huge fan of nitrox. I try to always use it.
Same here but some crooks want to charge a fortune for it. I get free nitrox from my club and when I dive in Bali, but the liveaboard I'm going in it a couple of weeks want $25 a tank, I'll be diving air.

Back
Top Bottom