Cabo Pulmo - photography - strobes not allowed?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that lights aren't allowed in Socorro but I've never heard that about Cabo Pulmo. @kumimonster might be able to help.

‘that must be new...I’ve always used lights/strobes in Socorro although last trip was nov 2017..no one ever mentioned to me that they were prohibited...

I haven't heard of folks having issues in FL and the Bahamas (on feed dives) with strobes and bulls, although a few years ago I did witness a couple tigers having a go at a large set of strobes. If I had to guess, I wouldn't be too concerned about it except at very close range (which is probably where a photographer with a wide-angle lens will want to be).

I was diving with bull sharks in a marine park in Mexico. My operator wasn't doing feeding dives and told me I couldn't use my strobes with bulls due to their sensitivity to electrical fields generated by the strobes. Rules of the marine park were clear with regards to the ban of strobe use with bulls. Basically, the concern was that electrical field generated by strobe discharge and recycling would spook the sharks. This reasoning may be why the marine park at Cabo Pulmo doesn't allow strobe use with bull sharks, but allows the use of video lights.

I imagine bull sharks would be lots less bothered by a strobe going off on feeding dives. One of the criticisms of doing feeding dives with sharks is that the sharks behave differently when they're being fed. For what it's worth, a couple of years ago, I watched a Cozumel dive guide feeding nurse sharks for divers in his group. When he finished feeding the sharks, they approached my group expecting to be fed. When we gave them nothing, one of the nurse sharks decided to try chomping on one of my strobes. Of course, that would be a whole different topic thread. (LOL)

‘that must be new...I’ve always used lights/strobes in Socorro although last trip was nov 2017..no one ever mentioned to me that they were prohibited...

I think I was mistaken about the strobes as I now recall that a number of divers used them. I believe it was dive lights that were not allowed. Sorry to mislead people.

BTW, how were conditions? Water temp & viz?????

Where does the Gallant go?
For Cabo Pulmo the water is usually around 80F and that was the case his past week except for some days where it dropped down to the upper 70s. There was a rain storm though, and that shut down diving for a day because the water destroyed the beach access road so the boats could not make it down. The following day many boats did not end up going out because of wind conditions.

I did though and it was great!

Back from the trip and the upshot on all of this was:
1. Made it through Cabo Customs without getting dinged for extra gear but they were definitely fishing. Asking lots of questions in broken English with the word "housing" in there. I just kept smiling and saying "small" and "GoPro". Plus I got the green light when I pushed the button.
2. Was able to use strobes at all times in Cabo Pulmo. Turned them off voluntarily when shooting Bull Sharks but no issues from the guide or anyone else. That being said, during the three dives and 12 dives we did in Pulmo, none of the official Park "minders" showed up to observe us so maybe we got off easy.

@Ken Kurtis thanks for the update on the housing “tax”.

How long are the dives in Cabo Pulmo when you do them from a liveaboard? Such an interesting area - 4 dives a day from a LOB is already a selling point.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom