Maui dive op & site suggestions for middle of March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, Inside Molokini is a rather boring dive for experienced divers. OTOH, the backside can be excellent.

I think this response is relative.

Is it a challenging dive? No.

Coming from the Caribbean I found the crater stunning. The visibility is pristine. As a fan of reef fish, the angels and butterflies there are so beautiful. With the great visibility it is a fantastic dive. I was visited by dolphins multiple times on the same dive and that was out of this world.

My family did a snorkeling excursion to molokini and my kids loved it. The clarity of the water dramatically improves what you can see at the surface. One of my kids who had never seen an octopus before spotted one from the surface. On our next trip, we will definitely go out there again.

Personally I found the snorkeling from shore amazing. This is especially true if you are comfortable in the ocean and can handle a minor surface swim. Also being able to free dive a bit and get closer helps.

Normally I am an eat sleep dive kind of guy but felt I dove too much on my trip and did not do enough Maui. When I return to Maui, I am going to cut way back on boat dives and just do a couple signature dives like molokini crater, backside and the lava tubes. I will fill in with way more snorkeling and rent some tanks for shore diving.

What is amazing about the Molokini crater?

Did not dive the crater. Dove the Molokini backwall extensively. Dove with humpback whale (extremely lucky), dolphin, whale shark (also lucky), big gray sharks, and some reef sharks. Also so 2 very large frog fish.

Of course also saw octopus and some nice big schools of typical Hawaiian fish.

In my opinion it is nothing like the shore diving at Mala Wharf, Ulua Beach, or Makeana Landing (3 graves).

My trip, all the whale footage is from the boat or a canoe, the whales during the dive didn't show up well on GoPro

Just got back from Maui a few weeks ago and did these dives: ( note- we know we can’t blame the dive shops for the lack of marine life we just figure we got a bad week ) full disclosure we had epic dives in Kona a few years back and have done Caribbean trips the last few years so have developed high expectations. Maui diving was disappointing to say the least.

Maui divers- really organized, service oriented, they did everything! I would recommend them although boat was busy. Nice equipment and staff have great attitudes.

Manta ray dive- saw a turtle that’s it not sure how many mantas they see on this dive but didn’t sound like they see many.. ever.

crater- most fish of any boat dives we did. Inner side busy with snorkelers and other dive shops.
Outer crater- best dive site saw a couple sharks, viz was okay a little murky (60 feet?). Would have rather have done this dive twice. I wouldn’t consider it a drift dive the current isn’t strong. Weather can make it tough to go out. The dive shop hasn’t been out there in over a week.

Lahaina Divers in Lahaina- hands off approach, opposite of Maui divers. Staff was professional but not overly friendly. Better suited for divers that really just need a boat ride.

Hammerhead Dive- took an hour boat ride each way in choppy water so not for those that get even the slightest of sea sickness. We saw a small eagle ray then literally nothing for 12 minutes on the dive. Wasn’t worth the cost or time. The outer crater is a better site. Got the impression there were much more days of seeing nothing then seeing something. It was a very expensive bumpy boat ride.

do a crater dive with Maui divers then do a bunch of shore dives is my recommendation.

I was in Maui about that same time last year.
I used Extended Horizons for three days of diving. Morning dives are actually done at Lanai, a quick boat ride. Fabulous diving and a really good operation.
I second the statement about the Maui Ocean Center. I did a two-person package with lunch. You have to do the humpback movie.
You may also want to give Maui Spearfishing Academy a try. We did a morning freediving intro course and a day of spearfishing for invasive grouper. A real different experience.
5 mil wetsuit kept us very comfortable for all in-water activities.

We dove Maui about the same time last year as well and went with Maui Dreams in Kihei and their charters of the Maui Diamond II (I understand they now have a new boat that is even better) boat out of Maalaea Harbor and really liked their shop for the type of diving my wife and I wanted to do, and my wife really liked their very patient and fun DM's for her private shore dives while I was in a conference. We've always snorkeled in Hawaii, but it was our first time diving there and we thought Molokini Crater was pretty amazing, but maybe not super challenging, just relaxing and beautiful. Also, we did a really fun drift dive just north of Maalea Harbor that they took us on which had lots of cool stuff to see.

Maui Dreams Dive company is fantastic. You dive to your air. Good staff, safe, and they want you to max your fun and time. We had some 80+ minute dives with them fantastic. Call them and see if it works with where you are and what you want to do. Also, don't be afraid to shore dive in Maui. It's easy and accessible.

Experienced diver from nz we probably only have time to get one decent dive trip in while we are in Maui.

I was looking at doing molokini crater and backwall dives.

Maybe a night time shore dive aswell. Mala pier?

Any advice or recommendations from any one?

Aloha
I prefer diving Lani over the crater. I have done both a lot. Just seems to me there’s more life off of Lani. Mala is a Great shore dive and so is Black Rock. Just depends on the conditions at the time as to which one you should pick.
Mahalo
Scuba Steve
Maui Dive Connection
Www.mauidiveconnection.com

Experienced diver from nz we probably only have time to get one decent dive trip in while we are in Maui.

I was looking at doing molokini crater and backwall dives.

Maybe a night time shore dive aswell. Mala pier?

Any advice or recommendations from any one?
I think those are good choices. I'd suggest going to Molokini with Mike Severn's. Mala Pier is an awesome night, shore dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom