Planning a family trip to Rivera Maya. Where to stay and where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your information! I really appreciate it.

Some things have changed. My wife has decided that she is not up for an adventurous vacation: she would rather a relaxing vacation. So, we've decided to spend most of February in High Springs, Florida. But I was able to find rock-bottom flight and lodging for just me, and I'm taking advantage of it. I've got some questions -- mostly travel, not diving. I'll ask them as I go along, but this will be a long post, so I'll list all of the questions at the end as well.

So, I'm booked: Flying Spirit round-trip DTW to CUN January 10/17. With two 40lb checked bags and one carry-on (plus the free personal bag), and picking my seats (exit rows both ways!): $357. 7 nights in a 1-bedroom apartment via AirBnB: $103. I can't believe how inexpensive this is... And I'm going to try to continue the maximum value/minimum cost vibe.

For groups, airport shuttles make a lot of sense. But they cost the same for one person as for four, so it's the ADO bus for me. I've figured out schedules, etc. There's a direct CUN Airport to Tulum bus (2 hours travel time, $15), but it means waiting at the airport for 3 hours. Or, I can take CUN Airport to PDC 5th Avenue (1 hour travel time, $11), and then wait a couple of hours for my bus to Tulum (1 hour travel time, $5). The point would be to check my bags at the bus station and explore / get some food around the station for a bit before my bus leaves. Is that realistic? Dragging 3 bags around PDC for 2 hours does not sound nearly as fun: I'd probably just wait at CUN for the direct bus in that case. But I really don't want to.

I greatly prefer using local currency, and I'll need to pay for the bus immediately. What is the best way to get pesos when I arrive? My research seems to indicate an ATM from an international bank that dispenses pesos is the best way to go. Are there such things in CUN? If not, what do you suggest?

What are your suggestions for clothing from a climate *and* cultural standpoint? Long pants/shorts, long/short sleeves, etc. I'll have a vizor, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, tennis shoes, light waterproof jacket. Anything else to keep in mind?

Any thoughts on safety in Tulum, particularly at night? I don't plan on being out much past 10 P.M., but it gets dark at 6 P.M., so I'll likely have to be out at least some at night.

What food places do I *have* to hit in Tulum? The more local and rustic the better. I'll probably splurge on one fancy meal, but the bulk will be street food and such. I want to eat like a local. Of course, I'm *not* a local, so unless I hear a *bunch* of No's, I'm going to stick to bottled water. But what about fruit and produce? Suggestions?

Any caves I absolutely must do? I've never done any Mexican caves, and I'm a baby full cave diver: about 20 post-class full cave dives. I'm going to focus on bottom time and absorbing the experience, not distance down a piece of string. And I want to work my way up as I go. I'm set up with Green Divers Tulum and he's suggested that we start with Nohoch Nah Cich as a way to get introduced. Anyone with any experience with Mark Green? He kindly called me and we talked for a bit about my expectations, etc., but any first-hand experiences would be welcome.

Any non-diving activitiies I absolutely must do? I'm not much of a beach person, but I enjoy a couple of hours next to the water. I plan on using a couple of after-diving before/during-sunset times for that. I don't think I'll take more than one day off of diving while I'm there, but if there's something worth seeing, I'm willing to do that. I know Mayan ruins are right there in Tulum. I understand that dawn is the best time to visit them, so I'm hoping to visit them early, and then do some diving in the afternoon/evening -- best of both worlds! :) Is there anything else worth taking time away from diving (!) in Tulum?

To get between town/beach/ruins I'm hoping to rent a bicycle. Any recommendations for a place in Tulum where I could do that, either early morning or the night before?

Finally, I'm also considering spending a tiny bit of time in PDC. Because of the way the bus schedule works, I either take a direct bus from Tulum to CUN Airport at 8 A.M. and wait 3 hours at the airport before my flight... or I take a bus from Tulum to PDC and then take the bus from PDC to CUN Airport. And if I'm going to do that... I can take the bus the day *before* my flight, get a room in PDC, and then leave my bags there and explore PDC until late the next morning when I take the bus from PDC to CUN airport! I'll waste a day of my AirBnB (all of $15), but I'll get an evening and morning in PDC. Is this worth it? Seeing as I've never been to Mexico before, I'd like the opportunity to see another place, even if it's just for a little bit. What *must* I do on a Thursday evening/Friday morning in PDC?

Summary of questions:
= Can I check my bags in at the ADO PDC bus station for the next bus to Tulum even if it's 2 hours before departure?
= Where to get pesos, ideally right in CUN Airport?
= Safety in Tulum, especially at night?
= Best places to eat like a local?
= Is fruit/produce safe?
= Any cave I absolutely must see -- within my baby full cave limitations?
= Any reviews of Green Diving Tulum?
= Any non-diving activities I absolutely must do?
= Where can you rent bicycles in Tulum, hopefully really early (or keep overnight)?

Summary of questions:
= Can I check my bags in at the ADO PDC bus station for the next bus to Tulum even if it's 2 hours before departure?
= Where to get pesos, ideally right in CUN Airport?
= Safety in Tulum, especially at night?
= Best places to eat like a local?
= Is fruit/produce safe?
= Any cave I absolutely must see -- within my baby full cave limitations?
= Any reviews of Green Diving Tulum?
= Any non-diving activities I absolutely must do?
= Where can you rent bicycles in Tulum, hopefully really early (or keep overnight)?

1. Not that I am aware.
2. At the airport after you leave customs/immigration or across from the Playa bus station. If you arrive in terminal three, they will be on the left as you walk through the glass doors. Also in Tulum at Scotia Bank at the corner of 307 and Satellite.
3. Very safe.
4. Stay in town and on the side streets. I am fond of the street vendors and the mom/dad type stands. Consult TA.
5. Yes, but wash with bottled water. It is my understanding that the restaurants will as well. Use bottled water to brush your teeth and to wash your toothbrush.
6. You will like Nohoch - I would rely on your guide to help.
7. Never heard of them which means nothing.
8. More dives:). You could try the ruins at Tulum or Coba. I think there are others south of town too that are not as well known.
9. Not sure but sometimes the B&Bs have some.

Look forward to a trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom