Seattle Area Pool Sessions (DIR Focused)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicolas Pottier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Long time Seattleite but have been living abroad and while there started diving. Now I'm hooked and while I'm currently somewhat terrified of the cold here, I'm also building up a DIR setup which is mostly together now.

So.. I'd like to do some pool sessions to sort out the new gear and maybe do a few guided trips to see if I can stand it or whether I'm just a soft holiday diver.

Any recommendations for outfits that have pool sessions and guided trips? I'm actually up near Stevens Pass so stuff on the East Side may be better from a pool perspective but if one shop is a go to for both then that may swing things one direction or another.

I have about 75 dives but that's all been guided boat or sunny warn shore diving, so have to say I'm a bit intimidated by the PNW!

Thanks.

¡Hola! Welcome back! Be not afraid of the cold.

"If you're cold, you're doing it wrong." -- Me.

...Which is kind of a lie because most of my dives are thermally limited... I was cold on today's dive (44 F / 79 fsw / 57 min) and was just about to thumb it when things got more fun than cold, so I stuck it out for the hour.

I have not taken any DIR courses and can't advise on that; perhaps folks on the Northwest Dive Club forum can help.

That said, here's what I suggest... Before worrying about DIR, get some local dives in. There's a lot of excellent local knowledge on the best gear and configurations to use for these waters, DIR or otherwise, and more diving will help you dial-in what's right for you.

This I know: Sooner or later, almost everyone goes to a drysuit. Weenies like me enjoy dry glove systems and dry hoods too. (<gollum> "The water, it burns us! It burns us! </gollum>) If you're not already a drysuit diver, I suggest starting that direction now; take drysuit lessons, start shopping and find one that fits. It really opens up 4-season diving and makes things a lot more comfortable.

Happy diving!

@Nicolas Pottier,

I'd suggest talking Eight Diving Co (Home Page) (tell them I sent you) to try out a dry suit. They carry Santi (don't own one, but an off the rack one fit me REALLY nice) and DUI (I think). They are a great group of people. If you want to see if you can stand diving in cold waters, I'd really suggest talking to them, as they have the best dry suits (many shops have beat up one as they squeeze every penny they can - 8 sells theirs for a big discount to ensure that the rentals are in good shape). They'll take good care of you and have a great dive community. I know that's a bit farther, but I honestly believe that is your best option. I have no affiliation to the store, other than being a customer, and having had training by some of their instructors prior to the shop opening.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you hit me up for a dive in the new year.

I live in the U District and am frequently up to Edmonds Marine Sanctuary to dive. I'd be happy to go out diving with you.

@wetb4igetinthewater is on the money with the recommendation for Eight. I had been diving dry for more than a year in a poorly-fitting suit and had developed some bad habits, so I signed up for the GUE Drysuit Primer with Alex Adolfi as a refresher/corrector. Alex is a talented instructor, has a great pool-side demeanor, and you will feel leveled-up as a diver after a weekend with him.

I live in the U District and am frequently up to Edmonds Marine Sanctuary to dive. I'd be happy to go out diving with you.

@wetb4igetinthewater is on the money with the recommendation for Eight. I had been diving dry for more than a year in a poorly-fitting suit and had developed some bad habits, so I signed up for the GUE Drysuit Primer with Alex Adolfi as a refresher/corrector. Alex is a talented instructor, has a great pool-side demeanor, and you will feel leveled-up as a diver after a weekend with him.
Alex was my fundies instructor some years ago. Shortly thereafter, I also hired Kees for a day for training where he did a great job evaluating me and pushing me to my limits for me to work on specific things and improve. If I continued that route, I would have done the same with Guy and Liz, as they are all very good instructors, but they will see and have you work on different things to challenge you.

+2 for Eight Diving in Des Moines. In addition to the GUE instructors (Alex and Kees), they have several NAUI instructors that teach students in BP/W and primary donate/long hose configuration. They offer both a NAUI drysuit certification and the GUE drysuit primer. Andrea, Dakota and George are super warm and welcoming at the shop as well.

Thanks for all the recs everyone and apologies for the hit and run, holidays and all!

I will look eight up and see what makes sense. Ski season has begun and that's top of mind but would still love to get some local diving in this winter so will see what is available.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom