Dolphins today on Islote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only ever seen 1 at depth & it was in 2011 diving San Juan. I saw a fin on the other side of a ridge & expected to see a shark so I woke my camera & then saw the Dolphin. I got 1 shot of it running parallel to me & 1 shot of it's tail as it sped away

44329298150_1cc59a6aa1_o.jpg

44329298150_73d61bd45a_h.jpg

Punta Sur?

Thanks. I guessed based on how far south we went. The map I had didn't include Islote. Maracaibo was the southernmost listed.

Unfortunately, I can't edit the original post.

39CE6631-D633-4593-B018-81E5EB6F9648.png
The eel and nurse shark are hunting buddies. The eel scares prey out of the reef, and the shark gets it. The shark scares prey into the reef, and the eel gets it.
Comensal hunting is common. Groupers also hunt with green moray eels. Smaller sea bass, such as the coneys, hunt with smaller eels. Jacks, permit, and sometimes other fish hunt with stingrays.
The barracuda was hunting with the green turtle at Punta Sur. I don’t know if or how the turtle would benefit, but the barracuda was definitely grabbing fish just above the turtle. That was pretty wild! Even Dario, the divemaster who has been diving and journaling the reefs of Cozumel for over 30 years, has never observed that behavior before.

title edited

Mostly usual stuff today. There was a very big eagle ray, but too far for my cam.

There was one other unusual sight. A large Moray resting his head on a nurse shark. They were pretty far back in a hole. I had to use my light to get any kind of picture. And the current was ripping, getting even this shot was work.
View attachment 555920
Was that at Cedral? If so, they are long time cavemates.

Was that at Cedral? If so, they are long time cavemates.
We were diving the north side yesterday. I think that was on an unnamed reef between Eagle Ray Wall and Villa Blanca Wall.

diverken374 can verify :)

Just finished my week with a night dive. Saw an amazing amount of stuff in our 82 minute dive: 2 splendid toadfish, 2 turtles, 4 octopuses, an electric ray, a crab, several lobster, a couple of free swimming spotted eels, a sea snake. But almost no useable photos unfortunately.

ANMP0240-1.jpg

If you've dived with me this week (or enjoy other people's snapshots), you can see all of my photos and vids from the trip at https://photos.app.goo.gl/CK8rbapP48p2aorFA . Fair warning, the quality is not great. It's about the cheapest possible camera and I'm no photographer. But I was the only one with a camera on most of these dives, so beggars can't be choosers :). There's a day of cenote diving during the Norte in there, so don't be confused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom