Streamlined OW Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pretty much duplicated this hose setup except I needed a longer necklaced hose since I have big shoulders and it's a long way back to my first stage. I'm temporarily using my old primary, but it's a bit too long. I also used my old 40" yellow octo hose for the primary to make it obvious which second stage is for donation.

I dived it for the first time today and I'm not 100% sold. I'm going to keep using it and see how I feel at the end of the week, but I suspect I either need a longer primary hose or I made a mistake by getting the 110 elbow instead of the 90. You can see how it kind of pulls down on the hose side. (That's my dive buddy trying to photobomb my selfie.)

View attachment 555679
How much space do you have from the swivel to your first stage? Are you able to grab it with your hand wrapped around it?

How much space do you have from the swivel to your first stage? Are you able to grab it with your hand wrapped around it?
Do you mean second stage? You can see it in the pic. First stage is connected straight to the hose.

Your issue is with the hose routing. If you had the 40" hose coming out the bottom of your turret and at a 45 degree angle, the hose would route perfect. You could also try changing which LP port the hoses come out as well. You could try swapping your primary and secondary. Your secondary looks to be too long anyway - is that a 22inch hose? I'm diving that say setup in my picture to the left and you cannot see my 22 hose.

Alternatively, you have a hose that just isnt very flexible and so it is fighting you. I cant tell if that is rubber or miflex. It really does work best with a miflex-type hose.
Both sessions are braided (miflex-type). You are correct, the secondary is too long. I got it all set up with a 22" just before I left and it was much too short. The only option I had on hand was my old 30 primary, so that's what I'm using for now. But I will swap it out eventually, probably for a 26".

For the primary, all 4 LP ports come out to the side on the first stage (it's a Mares MR22). Only the 2 HP ports come out at a 45. But I think you are right about swapping the two.

Does anyone use an elbow on both ends when routing under the arm?

Do you mean second stage? You can see it in the pic. First stage is connected straight to the hose.
yes, I meant second stage. I still cannot quite tell if it is enough for a hand to fit. That's what I'm getting at.

Mine does. I'll take a pic tomorrow. Aldora has it overnight.

Mine does. I'll take a pic tomorrow. Aldora has it overnight.
In all my second stages, none have that much of a connection sticking out, which make having a swivel conflict with grabbing next to the second stage and donating quickly. Your setup looks idea for a traditional configuration.

I pretty much duplicated this hose setup except I needed a longer necklaced hose since I have big shoulders and it's a long way back to my first stage. I'm temporarily using my old primary, but it's a bit too long. I also used my old 40" yellow octo hose for the primary to make it obvious which second stage is for donation.

I dived it for the first time today and I'm not 100% sold. I'm going to keep using it and see how I feel at the end of the week, but I suspect I either need a longer primary hose or I made a mistake by getting the 110 elbow instead of the 90. You can see how it kind of pulls down on the hose side. (That's my dive buddy trying to photobomb my selfie.)

View attachment 555679

what size is the necklace hose? I’m switching to primary as well. I moved my primary to my 40” yellow hose and now have my necklaced 2nd on my old primary 28”.

I think DiveRite invented this, or at least popularized it. See

The new swivels are fine, but you're not really using a swivel, you are using an elbow. See next quote.

You could also use a 40-inch yellow hose, to be even more indicative of which reg to grab.

It is quite streamlined...no hoses sticking out to the side. But the major advantage is to remove side pull on the primary reg as you turn your head.

Exactly.

Actually the primary with a 40" hose and a swivel was originally released commercially by Sherwood on their Maximus regulator in late 1989 or early 1990! I purchased one in early 1990 at the military base dive shop where I was stationed and have been using a variation of that setup ever since.

There have been people diving a 36 to 40 inch long hose as primary since before there was an octopus/backup even considered necessary. I used a 36 inch on my not primary but only second stage in circa 1966-1969. And I did not invent the idea, it was common to route the (only) hose under the arm. My then mentor and instructor and friends dove so with a Hawaiian backpack spearfishing the Gulf rigs. The under arm hose was less likely to entangle. And even more, the second stage mouthpieces had built in necklaces that snapped into place. My original purchase regulator, 1966 USD Calypso J is so equipped, 36 inch hose and rubber snap necklace, just as it was when purchased new in a hardware store in Bonita, La . for $99.00.

Nonetheless, it is a nice regulator set the OP has chosen but a long hose primary was hardly invented by DGX.

James

In which community? On scubaboard, I'd say yes, very much so. In the wider dive community, it is newer, so not all embrace it, or think it is such a great idea....:).

Look at the various threads on 'primary donate', 'necklaced secondary'. There are advantages to each of those aspects of it. The long hose setup is a version of this suited for diving in restrictions, or where more length after donating might make life a bit easier.

As Ken alludes to, how well your buddies can respond to a change in which reg you might give them plays into it.

The most recent debate on this is likely this thread:
Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad
If you separate out the long hose bit from the 'primary donate' 'necklace secondary' parts. It is worth a read, as it seemed to go over the typical talking points from the various sides.

Looks like the original video is unavailable. There is another video from Alec on this subject.

He went through a mea culpa moment, then proceeded into another unwatchable mess for anyone who understands the use of a long hose or the method of donating the primary. I use a long hose or donate-the-primary setup. When I dive with someone in the "standard" configuration (which I have no problem with), I just talk about the differences before the dive. No problems. Alec describes the peaceful deployment of the octo of the standard setup as if it would work that way every time. As someone who treats injured divers--take my word it does not. The trick is (and I think he would agree with this) is to be familiar with your particular setup and occasionally throw in an out of air drill to refresh those skills, even if you are not a tech diver (or like me not currently doing a lot of tech diving).

I'll admit I didn't see the merits of the primary donate/long hose system until I used it when I went through my tech training. Anyone curious about the differences should give it an honest try before they discard or criticize the method.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom