Early Report on Southern Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
From the Aldora DMs, only visible difference is the renewed presence of larger Lionfish…as expected, but not loads of them. Roughly same amount of brain coral damage.

Dave Dillehay

Saw 2 lion fish in 5 dives...brain coral all turning blue and bleaching galore..it is a sad state...diving here since 1984 I certainly can see the recent damage.

83-85 at depth has to be the culprit..one or two more degrees and we can kiss the Reef goodbye.

Saw 2 lion fish in 5 dives...brain coral all turning blue and bleaching galore..it is a sad state...diving here since 1984 I certainly can see the recent damage.

83-85 at depth has to be the culprit..one or two more degrees and we can kiss the Reef goodbye.

I have never seen a thermocline in Cozumel. 5 ft to 250 ft, its has always been homogenous. However, if you see 83-85 in January at any depth, i'll concede.

dave dillehay

I thought that the reefs were in decent shape. I don’t know how it compared to prior to the closure, but I wanted to let everyone know that hasn’t been here in a while that it not all gloom and doom. We just had 6 great dives, and though there is some dead hard coral, there is a lot of live coral, all the formations are intact, and all the usual marine life is present. So, if you were on the fence about coming, please come down. The water is just fine.

I was on Columbia deep Monday. There were an F ton of big lion fish. Guy from another group and ‘someone’ from my group were shooting them as fast as we could clear the sling.

the reefs looked like November. Bleaching still heavy. Corals still dying. Did see a couple healthy brain coral hanging on. The antibiotic silly putty was still working on some coral and not on other.

so I really didn’t see anything significantly different except for lots of big lion fish. But not really extra lions on gardens.

Back
Top Bottom