Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw a dive boat leaving Puerto de Abrigo.
With divers aboard?

A while back there was a thread mentioning some issue that was going to cause a name change for Los Otates. What is the current name? Have they made changed to their sign?
Last August they had one of the letters blacked out.

So it this right? Looks awful is yes...
upload_2019-12-18_11-17-28.png

6470C021-FF63-4B91-A955-E487FEA7AA9D.jpeg
Divers aboard? Didn’t look that close.
Don’t have an anemometer, but here are the trees next door, and you can see whitecaps...

It looks like a week off if this holds true. Sorry for the divers and Ops. Just that time of year.

upload_2019-12-18_11-55-54.png

View attachment 556065 Divers aboard? Didn’t look that close.
Don’t have an anemometer, but here are the trees next door, and you can see whitecaps...

Thanks for the image Sallye - And as we know - if you can see white caps from shore, they are pretty significant out on the water making getting on and off boat a challenge

Thanks for the image Sallye - And as we know - if you can see white caps from shore, they are pretty significant out on the water making getting on and off boat a challenge

just returned from Socorro a week and a half ago. We were diving from inflatables in 8ft seas at Rocoa Partida. The Cozumel photo above is pale in comparison. just say'n.

just returned from Socorro a week and a half ago. We were diving from inflatables in 8ft seas at Rocoa Partida. The Cozumel photo above is pale in comparison. just say'n.
My first trip to Coz was totally a new experience, after diving Florida, North Carolina, California, and some other destinations. I was just there for two or three possible dive days, and the first morning I was told that the port was closed. I wondered what that had to do with me as I was at a southern resort, and they explained no one was allowed out because of north wind and rough seas. I looked at the little whitecaps, talked to some divers from Oregon, and asked them if it ever gets that good there?

Coz is different. Pangas capsize and sink too easily in rough seas, and vacation divers don't handle boarding even in a larger boat that's rocking.

I did a trip to Seattle once, and the other divers were surprised to hear that I came there just to dive. Loved it, but it was certainly different. I remember coming up from my last dive and seeing my boat rotating in the currents.

My first trip to Coz was totally a new experience, after diving Florida, North Carolina, California, and some other destinations. I was just there for two or three possible dive days, and the first morning I was told that the port was closed. I wondered what that had to do with me as I was at a southern resort, and they explained no one was allowed out because of north wind and rough seas. I looked at the little whitecaps, talked to some divers from Oregon, and asked them if it ever gets that good there?

Coz is different. Pangas capsize and sink too easily in rough seas, and vacation divers don't handle boarding even in a larger boat that's rocking.

I did a trip to Seattle once, and the other divers were surprised to hear that I came there just to dive. Loved it, but it was certainly different. I remember coming up from my last dive and seeing my boat rotating in the currents.
^^^I had much the same reaction before my first trip when I learned about the port closures....then I saw the boats and the typical dive routine.

We performed recovery in 4-6 foot swells in Brac by an all ladies team...it went flawlessly...23 of us..the whole week was rather rough, but we dove each day

Been a while since we did the Brac. Dove with Brac Scuba Shack, nice outfit but dives were too short. We have been spoiled with 75+ minute dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom