Rebreathers for short divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall, I agree with @kierentec

Much as I read about try dives, it is not always easy to arrange such experiences. Even where I live in SE Florida, the chances I’ve had to try different units are few. I’d love to try a Defender, SF2, Liberty, JJ, and lord knows what.

With that in mind, and considering the OP’s question about size and weight, I’ll have to suggest +1 for the ISC Pathfinder.

Not including myself, I’ve got 4 local acquaintances who dive this unit, the shortest is a 5’5” tall woman. All of us mount a pair of 2 liter steel cylinders, but you could save a small bit of weight by mounting 13’ aluminums, but that will probably make the unit’s trim bottom heavy.

It’s not terribly heavy. I just tried to visit the ISC website to see what they state as the unit’s ready to dive weight, but the site is not currently loading on my computer. I’ll guesstimate that it’s about 40 pounds.

You’ll most likely do your initial training and then spend many hours using air dil*. (*I read the OP’s profile and note that he or she already has AN/DP and Helitrox certs, so may be able to combine Mod 1 & 2. I’m not aware of each agency’s prerequisites.) Until you get involved in long deco scenarios, and proceeding to adding helium, you can get by using an ALU 40 for bail-out. You’ll also be carrying a hefty reel and a sturdy lift bag or SMB. Once you get involved in trimix, you’ll add at least one more bail-out cylinder, (perhaps 80’s), another reel, and another SMB. So the weight of the CCR will remain constant, but your ancillary gear will gradually increase. This will become something to consider before you waddle along the shore as you approach your entry point, or stagger on a pitching boat deck only your way to splash down.

BTW, hi Jon. We met some years ago aboard the Cayman Aggressor when you and you partner were guests of one of your students. I’m the lunatic photographer with the interesting hair style. Last time we spoke was over the phone when I called your old office as my son, (chip off the old block,) managed to lose his Nitrox card. Trust all’s good with you.

I have a Pathfinder. I’m about 5-3, so I am definitely on the short side, and it fits me well. It weighs about 35 lb stripped, so it’s also a very light unit and easy to transport. Some folks would object to the chest-mounted counter lungs, especially if they lack real-estate to begin with, and there’s also the much bigger issue that ISC isn’t pushing them anymore - all their attention is focused on the Tiburon and the new handset for the Meg 15 (which can also be used with the Pathfinder). I have seen a few second hand units offered for sale, though.

Size was a factor when choosing my unit, but it was by no means the only one - Jon has offered some excellent advice about choosing a unit, and I couldn’t agree more. I hope the OP finds what they’re looking for!

Tiburon meg with a cave can is commonly used for 5'6" or less divers. In warm water the mini can is an even smaller option but its only 4lbs of sorb so limited duration/capacity

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom