Changing latex neck seal on 7 mm neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gusman C. Harris

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

I have an old 7mm neoprene drysuit that needed seals replacement. I managed do change the wrist seals without problem, but regarding the neck seal I am a bit stuck. Most of the solutions that I find online show how to do that on trilam drysuits, which are much more flexible. The best solution for me seems to be to use a solid base and a ring (wooden or plastic) and clamp them together with the neck and seal between them. Problem is because of the cut of the suit, the neck won´t stay flat, it creates folds around the neck hole.
So I turn to this community and it´s immense collective knoledge for any advice or insight that might help mke put this old suit back in the water.

IMG_20170129_181129700.jpg
After removing the old seal, doing the prep and applying the glue I just use a basket ball to prop the suit up directly under the neck of the suit. I put the seal on "free hand" then use a roller to ensure good contact.

View attachment 556028 After removing the old seal, doing the prep and applying the glue I just use a basket ball to prop the suit up directly under the neck of the suit. I put the seal on "free hand" then use a roller to ensure good contact.

Hummm. Clever! And how do you keep preassure on the seal against the suit? Or the roller is enough? Also what kind of glue are you using?

I usually just use a roller. Sometime I'll put dumbell weight plates on top if I want to maintain pressure. I use DAP weld wood contact cement from my local hardware store.

I usually just use a roller. Sometime I'll put dumbell weight plates on top if I want to maintain pressure. I use DAP weld wood contact cement from my local hardware store.
Thanks a bunch man. Will try that.

Yep, np

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom