Video Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ovahimba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I’m just getting back into the sport after a couple decades. I’ve really taken a liking to video and have a pair of Bigblues at 15,000 lumens each. On my first liveaboard trip a couple was a bit upset with my lights. I never deliberately pointed the lights at them but they would occasionally appear in the background as I was videoing a critter. Later in the trip I tended to keep my distance from the main group, but this wasn't always possible because of currents. Of course I tried to keep the lights off when not filming, but turning them on and off often can be a bit awkward. After a while I acquired the nicknames, “the Mac truck”, and “the submersible". Have others experienced this issue?

Thanks.

Nobody has ever said anything but I have wondered. The video lights can be quite bright depending on distance. If I’m diving with someone new I have a quick chat up front and ask them to signal me or let me know if my lights are bothering them. I have never had anyone do so but then again I haven’t been shooting underwater long. I try to hang toward the back and be aware of where I’m pointing. I sometimes turn them off but gets to be a pain.

Speaking from a perspective of an videolights affected:
They really ruining the mood/feeling on a night dive.
I try to keep a great distance on night dives to anyone with a video light.

Speaking from a perspective of an videolights affected:
They really ruining the mood/feeling on a night dive.
I try to keep a great distance on night dives to anyone with a video light.
Likewise I find that narrow beam dive torches ruin my videos and I keep a distance from divers with torches.

If you're diving with 30,000 lumens on your camera you probably should consider private charters or small groups where you won't encounter the other divers.

Night dives I use a regular flashlight as my dive light and only turn on video lights when recording. Daytime, video lights on only when recording.

Thanks for the replies. Next week I'll be in Raja Ampat, and on this boat I have the option of paying for a private guide if there is a problem. On night dives I do macro still photography with only small modeling lights. Turning those video lights on at night could simulate a nuclear detonation. Even with all that light power I still have to get fairly close to subjects for the colors to really come out, ideally inside of 3 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom