• 200-299

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 300-499

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 500+

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

110 dives. 46 were local dives in Monterey, 27 from a trip to Kona in March, and the remaining 37 from a trip to Puerto Galera in July. All dives were recreational hobby dives.

I'd only been certified for 3 months when 2019 started, so my nebulous goal was to just dive as much as I could. Given that I don't have a car and basically had to hitch rides for all my local dives, I'm fairly happy with how much diving I got done this year. I do wish that I'd been able to fit in a few more dives in the last quarter of the year, but my drysuit was stuck in the Scubatude repair queue for 7 weeks, which made me lean towards sleeping in instead of diving in a rental suit for some of the weekends when conditions were marginal. I also won't be diving for the last few weeks of the year because I'm visiting my non-diving family members near Toronto.

A highlight for me was that I got into underwater photography and managed to get good enough to take shots I wouldn't mind blowing up and hanging on my wall. I guess it was a bit of a lowlight for my wallet though, because I could probably buy another two or three sets of all my other dive gear for the price of my camera rig...

Goals for 2020:
  • Upgrade my Fundies provisional to a full rec pass
  • Get trained and switch over to a set of doubles for local diving
  • Focus a little more on quality over quantity of dives, with a target of 80ish for the year. To that end, I've booked a trip to Cozumel in April, and will likely do another trip (destination TBD) sometime later in the year as well.
good work

It'd be great to see peoples average dive times, or total dive time too, to get an even better picture.

I've probably done around 40 dives this year, shortest being 60mins and longest being 170mins (longest dive for me so far). I'd guess I average around or just over 100 mins. One trip away up the coast, otherwise split between local night dives at Clifton Gardens and day time dives in Botany Bay.

I hope to be doing many more dives next year, with a lot less tinkering with my gear configuration (I've been teaching myself sidemount this year).

So now that 2019 comes to an end, how many dives did you manage throughout the year?

Let us know:
  • whether you usually dive at home or on vacation
  • predominantly rec or tech
  • as a hobby or professionally
  • how many you are aiming for and how the year's diving turned out for you
  • what your highlight was
I had 55 dives logged for this year, I usually combine logs if i have two short dives on the same day so maybe 5-10 more if I wouldn't do that. Mostly rec dives, I'd say 85/15 ratio towards rec and my "tec" dives are barely called tec dives. (40m/130fsw usually around 5-10min deco)
I hope to dive more in next year and to advance my knowledge by course or two.
Didn't have any opportunity to go diving overseas, so all of my dives were done within 200km/125mi from where i live. This years highlight would've been ether the blind exits and blinded lost line exercises done in cavern course or founding (by sheer luck) a almost 100 years old wooden water intake pipe.

70ish dives this year. Some Cozumel, some quarry diving, a trip to 1000 islands, some Florida springs, a couple Yucatan cenotes. All rec dives, average of 60 min a dive. Was an exciting year, most exciting was getting to accompany my wife for her first dive. I didn't think she would ever try it and now she is certified. Will be diving in a few days in Panama with my wife and my son at the same time, that dive will be my favorite dive so far.

Around 35, mostly club dives around south Devon with an even split between shore and rib.

Highlights for this year for me - a 30m rib dive on SS Persier, a WW1 armed merchant wreck, which although collapsed has some great features. Vis that day was in the region of 15m. Another was unexpectedly finding a good sized 1800 ish anchor just west of Prawle Point. The flukes were a full arm span, so around six feet across.

Comical moment was waiting for my buddy to set up his camera while a big free swimming conger eel cruised right past him. He didn't see it.

Next year includes a lob in the Red Sea, so the total should be higher!

90 so far - I hope to have a couple more by New Year. Mostly fun recreational dives locally with a couple of diving trips here and there. Here are my yearly stats:

upload_2019-12-21_9-17-22.png

I quite like them although there is a lot of space for improvement (eg look at those max SAC rates :().

Highlights for 2019:
- First macro only trip (Ambon/Indonesia) in January
- Advanced nitrox course in May.
- Soon afterwards I started diving solo (and since then I have done about 30 solo dives)
- My first LoB. It was a week long LOB in Egypt (South route) in November
- During the Egypt LoB I hit the 200 dives mark.

Personally the most important thing so far is that I overcame the "fear" that all these would be something temporal and that all the effort,time and money I've spend would be wasted in case I had to stop diving for whatever reason. Now I feel that I have passed the break-even point and even if I had to stop tomorrow, the experiences I have had surpass the effort/time/money I've spend.

I would like to thank all of you for the tremendous help you gave me to achieve all these.
All the best for the new year!

It'd be great to see peoples average dive times, or total dive time too, to get an even better picture.

I've probably done around 40 dives this year, shortest being 60mins and longest being 170mins (longest dive for me so far). I'd guess I average around or just over 100 mins. One trip away up the coast, otherwise split between local night dives at Clifton Gardens and day time dives in Botany Bay.

I hope to be doing many more dives next year, with a lot less tinkering with my gear configuration (I've been teaching myself sidemount this year).
101 dives as of this morning. Still have a few to do in coming week and a bit, hopefully another four or so. To date, average depth 24 metres (80 feet), maximum 48 metres (153 feet), all but the first two in Sydney (the first two were in Brazil), average bottom time 51 minutes, longest 91 minutes and over 85 hours underwater. Conditions really great at the moment water wise, so hopefully will continue into 2020.

Thought you had stopped diving Cody! You need to come out on my boat again soon.

167 dives this year. 135 fun dives 32 teaching dives - numerous in water teaching not counted

20% dives required deco

No real plans for 2020, as I take it as it comes. I’m more interested in having fun rather than targets

Definitely going back to Komodo with Current Junkies for some more proper hard core current diving.

2019 was the year I stopped seriously logging dives. For the past several years, as I aimed for tech-level skills, the great majority of my dives have been short and shallow, in quarries, lakes and springs. I finally got cave certified this year, and now the Intro-level cave dives I have been doing are similarly short and could reasonably be considered training as well. Trying to convert those kinds of dives into an equivalent count of “normal” dives was pointless, as my count of ocean dives had already passed 500. Now I maintain a training log that logs cave dives and training dives by time (total hours), not number of dives. Vacations are logged without bothering to count the dives. If asked for a dive count by a dive op, “500” should satisfy them.

167 dives, All rec. I would say mostly on vacation since I am canadian but spend my free time in Philippines (I work rotations).

Highlight was my trip to Raja Ampat and Lembeh in march!

Dive goal for 2020, do my tech 1 with GUE.

Back
Top Bottom