• 200-299

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 300-499

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 500+

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally the most important thing so far is that I overcame the "fear" that all these would be something temporal and that all the effort,time and money I've spend would be wasted in case I had to stop diving for whatever reason. Now I feel that I have passed the break-even point and even if I had to stop tomorrow, the experiences I have had surpass the effort/time/money I've spend.

This is a very valuable perspective. Now that you expose it I can realize I had the exact same feeling but could not identify it.

Thanks for sharing!

JC

67 dives for the year so far. Had eight outings (2 shore & 6 boat, totaling 14 dives) cancelled by weather.

Most of the dives were at home, with home defined as anything within a half day's drive. Two major trips: one to Barbados, Grenada, and St. Vincent & the Grenadines; the other to Belize. Both involved a week on a liveaboard sailboat with limited diving, plus some shore time before and after that permitted a little more diving. My wife is not a diver, so my trips can't be completely dive-centric. Two trips to the Keys: one to Key Largo, the other to Key West--only one day of diving on each, though.

Highlights of the year:

--A night dive in Belize under a nearly full moon in perfectly calm water when I learned that the underside of the surface of the water can be reflective. Positioned under a fever of spotted eagle rays, I could look directly up at their creamy undersides, and I could shine my light off the underside of the water's surface and see a perfect reflection of their top pattern. Astonishingly beautiful.

--My hundredth dive in November. Discreetly observed the tradition with a solo shore dive at an isolated location while my wife and sister stood lookout.

-Getting to dive with my youngest daughter for her first post-certification dive off Palm Beach last week. She took her OW course as a physical education class at college, and we got to dive together when we picked her up for Christmas break. She looked very comfortable in the water for someone doing her fifth dive. We're going up to Blue Grotto today because that's about the only place we can get in the water today with the winds blowing as they are.

All dives were recreational or training. That will change next year, as I will finish my divemaster certification as soon as the weather permits me to check off my last few boxes.

I am old, no money, so no scuba holidays since many, many years.
I only dive for professional reasons (so I am fully reimbursed for expenses). But this year I managed to make only two work missions, each with just 2 dives, so the total is 4. Quite bad.
Indeed, I managed to make some nice underwater sound recordings (accompanied with panoramic 360° videos), which was the goal of these missions at Isola del Giglio (Tuscany) and Panarea (Sicily). Here you see two of them. Giglio (stereo soundtrack):

Panarea (Ambisonics spatial audio soundtrack):

Being 360-videos, click and drag over them for "looking around". These are best viewed with an HMD (Oculus Go or the like), wearing such a device provides a fully "immersive" experience.
I am the one with yellow mask and long yellow fins, moving quite badly as I am significantly off training....
So, as a balance of the year, despite the small number of dives, and despite the camera and hydrophone system flooding experienced at Giglio (and shown in the recording) I am quite satisfied of the results obtained, it was a profitful year.

40ish dives - two trips to Bonaire, AOW buddy for my wife and daughter at Lake Jocassee

Highlight, my girls getting comfortable, they did a bunch of firsts

Misery, trying to make sure my wife understands underwater navigation and the fact that kicking really big triangles in murky water makes it interesting getting back..

JJ

How great everyone dives so much! I'll be on the low end at 18 dives - a couple in Costa Rica and on two different Hawaiian Islands.

Diving for me occurs on the 2-3 trips we take each year. I have no inclination to be more than a rec diver who enjoys diving and taking pictures of sea life as a hobby. The number of dives I generally do a year has been affected by losing my best dive buddy (my wife quit diving due to ear issues) and my other dive buddy usually not wanting to dive as much as I do. The highlight this year was on the very first dive we did in Kauai where we were visited by a humpback whale (it was early April when the whales were supposed to gone.)

I got around 20, all shore dives at 'home' in Monterey/Carmel. Just rec. stuff, ~25-50', 60-80+ minutes each. A few tiny doubles, the rest tiny sidemount. Knocking around as a hobby. Was hoping for ~50, two every other week, but got busy with other stuff. Not a dive highlight, but I rented tanks for use in a shop pool, it got me in the water playing with AL80 sidemount refining skills and gear when the weather was not good. Descend, play around for two hours, then ascend. It was a fun day. Ocean highlights were my sea lion, harbor seal, and fish friends.

26 with about 30 hours of bottom time. Just one dive trip to Cocoview. Fiji and Bonaire next year, possibly Cozumel. Never enough!!

The year of 2019 was not good for me diving. I made in total only 36 dives and the majority of those were in a single trip. Finishing up things at work to an end, repairing my wind damaged hanger, family (aging parents) all soaked up my time. But 2020 I hope will be better because I guess I just retired. I just bought a new kayak and am rigging it for diving, my BW boat is ready to go (break out another thousand) for once, I have a new camera rig coming together slowly (break out $6,000) so I hope to get in at least a 100 dives.

Thing is, I guess I have too many interests and not enough time or funds for all of them so priorities come to be, airplanes, fishing, hunting, hiking, motorcycles all take their toll on diving. I guess I ought to keep my hands on the grips:

IMG-5465.jpg

N

Around 150 ish dives. I don’t log anymore.

Big year. Did my IT course and then Tech IT as well for normoxic. Did my CCR normoxic instructor course. I’m done as far as training goes now, no intention of going deeper so just IT upgrades in the future for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom