Public Transport fun - Opinions Sought for Anilao/S.Lyte/Alona B/Dauin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickC83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone,

Great community on here, really helpful and entertaining. After 10-odd years of Indonesian specific trips, I'm looking at my first visit to the Philippines. Aiming for 4 weeks in late May to June next year and looking to cram in 4-5 days each at a few spots for diving while exploring on public transport from place to place. I've found heaps of info on here, but wondering if any of you guys would be happy to chime in on costs, in particular, and any experiences you have with public transport for the following transfers:

Manila - Anilao
So much info on here - thanks guys! - so I'm pretty confident on airport to bus, which bus etc. But happy to hear more, especially from Batangas to ASDC Resort.

Tacloban - Padre Burgos
Would love to hear about the cost and length of the busses etc on this one.

Leyte - Alona Beach
Is there a better/more direct option than ferry to Cebu then ferry + bus from there?

Alona Beach - Dauin
Seems they may possibly be a direct ferry to Dumaguette? Is that true.

Thanks again for everything you've all shared to this point and anything you can add here. I'll certainly add my experiences in a detailed report after the trip. :)

p.s - If anyone has an INON UCL-165 or 2 - or anything similar - they're looking to get rid of let me know. :)

Nick

Manila - Anilao
So much info on here - thanks guys! - so I'm pretty confident on airport to bus, which bus etc. But happy to hear more, especially from Batangas to ASDC Resort.

Tacloban - Padre Burgos
Would love to hear about the cost and length of the busses etc on this one.

Leyte - Alona Beach
Is there a better/more direct option than ferry to Cebu then ferry + bus from there?

Alona Beach - Dauin
Seems they may possibly be a direct ferry to Dumaguette? Is that true.
Manila - Anilao
Jeepney from Batangas Bus Terminal

Tacloban - Padre Burgos
Never done this route before

Leyte - Alona Beach
Bato to Bohol: 2019 Ferry Schedule and Fare Rates -
From Ubay to Alona Beach is another story
You are better off ferry to Cebu City first, another ferry to Tagbilaran and trike to Alona Beach.

Alona Beach - Dumaguete.
Direct ferry from Tag.

And you are skipping Malapascua?

Nice, thanks @Centrals.

I'll definitely go with the Cebu way then by the sounds of it. Have read a lot about the Tagbilaran direction so that works.

I thought about Malapascua but didn't fancy going all the way up there then coming back down to Dumaguete. Much as I'd love
to see the Threshers, I've seen them at Nusa Penida and the Panglao/Balicasag diving combined with Dauin sounded more varied.
Am I making a mistake with that assumption in your opinion?

There is permit issue in Balicasag.
To travel from Leyte to Malapascua is time consuming but can be done if ones has inclination. there is no need to go to Cebu City. Look it up.
If you still have the time perhaps you ought to look at Sipalay which is about 6hrs away by bus from Dumaguete. Exit from Bacolod to Manila.

Manila - Tacloban - Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay) - Moalboal - Dumaguete( Apo Island) - Sipalay - Bacolod - Iloilo - Caticlan(Boracay) and ferry to Batangas - Manila.

NO back tracking and only one domestic flight required.

Alona Beach is a circus nowadays!

the Panglao/Balicasag diving combined with Dauin sounded more varied.
Am I making a mistake with that assumption in your opinion?

Balicasag offers much better diving than Apo island : while the hard coral is fine in Apo, fish is scarce on the western side of the island, some of eastern side diving has been destroyed a while ago. You'll more often see the jackfish schools in Balicasag than in Apo (operations often tend in Apo to avoid the current laden spots where the jackfish are).
Doljo and Puntod walls are also worthwhile from Alona, there is also a small sardine run on the easter side of Panglao. Some operations will also provide daytrips to Cabilao (fantastic coral coverage), Pamilacan or snake island.

Dauin macro is exceptional, maybe not on the Anilao level in terms of rare species but the density of critter is amazing many more than Anilao where you are sometimes searching 10mins for nothing, even with the best guides in town.

You can have a look at my photo galleries to prove of what I'm saying (check out the Visayas album).

Sick, thanks @Luko. Funny, I visited Bangka about 4-5 years ago because of you talking about it on here and then ended up volunteering there for 6 months. ~50 dives at Sahaung now so maybe I might even have as many as you. :wink:

I'd heard exactly that about Balicasag/Panglao which is why I was happy to deal with the zoo at Alona Beach. It'll be nice for company and cheap beers after 6 weeks in Indo, too. Dauin was an easy choice as well - I love my macro. Just need to replace my lost macro lenses in time.

Anything I've missed with the 4 places in the post title? Cabilao sounds nice if I can get there for a day but I think Anilao/Leyte/Panglao/Dauin has it pretty much wrapped up for a 4 week introduction?

Sure, you can't go wrong.
Cabilao's very nice when you're looking for a quiet place with fine diving, the coral coverage is amazing (that said nothing like Sahaung :wink: ), if you can read french, one of my friends wrote an excellent article on her blog you can read it there.
Plonger à Cabilao, petit joyau corallien des Philippines

I would stick with your itinerary anytime, it's an excellent balance between macro and wide, corals and muck.

Just to add to the good info provided by Central.
Regarding MNL to Anilao, when you take the jeepney at the bus station (will leave only when it is full...really full :)), sometimes it goes to Mabini and sometimes to Anilao Pier. In both cases you will still need to take a tricycle (around 100-120p)

Not to throw too big a wrench in here, but - the easiest public option Tacloban - South Leyte is jeepney from the airport to the puv (van) terminal across from Robinson's (ask at the airport). You will definitely want an extra seat, and might (probably) even have to buy a seat for your gear. You will transfer to a local bus in Sogod and be dropped off at the resort of your choice. Fastest/easiest way, and all in for about $10 (US).
The hassle and expense of getting from South Leyte to Cebu to Tagbilaran means I would usually avoid the route centrals suggests, unless I had a specific reason to be in Cebu City. Bato to Ubay ferry followed, again, by the van to Tagbilaran and onward from there. The "secret" to a successful van ride, vs. a very uncomfortable afternoon with a sadistic driver who doesn't know any safe words, is the extra seat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom