BCD remove and replacement with long hose configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree.
It's probably why you don't dive with a long hose. :D But hey, we all knew that when you asked "why" in the first place.

Fit and comfort. What works for you, may not work for me and vice versa. Doesn't make either of us a lessor diver. I tried the long hose and was hooked from the very beginning. Sure, I get snide remarks all the time to which I reply: Dive and let dive.

It's probably why you don't dive with a long hose. :D But hey, we all knew that when you asked "why" in the first place.

Fit and comfort. What works for you, may not work for me and vice versa. Doesn't make either of us a lessor diver. I tried the long hose and was hooked from the very beginning. Sure, I get snide remarks all the time to which I reply: Dive and let dive.
Of course. My first setup was with a long hose. All the arguments made sense coming from my instructor who is a cave diver. In open water on private boats it no longer made sense. So I started exploring the best streamlined options. Despite what txaggie said, it is in no way messy as seen here and I suspect he hasn't tried it. This pic was before ditching the SPG hose.

The reason for the question is the OP just learned about the long hose coming from presumably the standard scuba agency setup and he may not be aware of other options. It's not uncommon for divers to end up with a gear box graveyard in their garage. Sharing information about different options can eliminate that potential outcome.

FB_IMG_1576960342823.jpg

Of course. My first setup was with a long hose. All the arguments made sense coming from my instructor who is a cave diver. In open water on private boats it no longer made sense. So I started exploring the best streamlined options. Despite what txaggie said, it is in no way messy as seen here and I suspect he hasn't tried it. This pic was before ditching the SPG hose.

The reason for the question is the OP just learned about the long hose coming from presumably the standard scuba agency setup and he may not be aware of other options. It's not uncommon for divers to end up with a gear box graveyard in their garage. Sharing information about different options can eliminate that potential outcome.

View attachment 556832

I actually consider the loose hose flopping around under the arm messy because it's an entanglement hazard, and the use of a 90 when other options exist that dont add the failure point a bad thing with a sport rig.... and I do use ome in sidemount, so I'm not anti-90s

I actually consider the loose hose flopping around under the arm messy because it's an entanglement hazard, and the use of a 90 when other options exist that dont add the failure point a bad thing with a sport rig.... and I do use ome in sidemount, so I'm not anti-90s

If rigged on the right port using a rubber hose there's no flopping. The bend from coming off the forward first stage port and the downward force of the elbow keep the hose hugged tight against my rig cage. As a spearfisherman a floppy hose would be unacceptable. If you use the back facing port I would think there would be a lot more play because the hose is being forced out instead of in.

and the use of a 90 when other options exist that dont add the failure point a bad thing with a sport rig.
Define "bad", please. How many people have been injured or died while using one? None?

Without stats, calling something a "failure point", without actual stats is a logical fallacy. I would call this "misleading vividness". It's as tired as calling something "sub-optimal".

FWIW, I use them when I cave dive and, gasp, even have them on my and my student's OW gear. No failures. No injuries. No deaths.

Use a mares loop 15x.. under the arm, no 90 degree elbow, everybody’s happy :cool::D

Define "bad", please. How many people have been injured or died while using one? None?

Without stats, calling something a "failure point", without actual stats is a logical fallacy. I would call this "misleading vividness". It's as tired as calling something "sub-optimal".

FWIW, I use them when I cave dive and, gasp, even have them on my and my student's OW gear. No failures. No injuries. No deaths.

I'm not familiar with a group tracking accurately reported stats on failures of scuba connectors. The assertion is pretty accurate that it IS another failure point is spot on.... any swivel connection provides a failure point. Doesnt mean I don't have one on the rig I'll be in a cave in to... it just doesnt make sense to add a potential issue when a few extra inches of hose would bring it behind the neck, with the hose tucked snugly against the body.

I'm not going to apologize for thinking this is a messy solution. It strikes me as an attempt to do anything but a simple 5 or 7 foot hose, with no real benefit, and several detriments.

I'm not going to apologize for thinking this is a messy solution.
So, I'm getting these binary equations from you:
  1. You don't like it = bad.
  2. You don't understand it = failure point.

This is an example of the "If I don't teach, sell or dive it, then it must be crap!" mentality and I don't ascribe to that. If you call something a failure point, I want to see evidence of failures. I wouldn't call something a failure point unless I knew of at least a few failures. Personally, I love how my elbows streamline my rigs and make them less messy.
I actually consider the loose hose flopping around under the arm messy because it's an entanglement hazard,
Tuck it into your belt, it won't flop and it will be easily deployed by just nodding your head as you hand the reg off to your buddy. The only time you would have to lift it over your head is if you're in vertical trim as opposed to horizontal.

So, I'm getting these binary equations from you:
  1. You don't like it = bad.
  2. You don't understand it = failure point.

This is an example of the "If I don't teach, sell or dive it, then it must be crap!" mentality and I don't ascribe to that. If you call something a failure point, I want to see evidence of failures. I wouldn't call something a failure point unless I knew of at least a few failures. Personally, I love how my elbows streamline my rigs and make them less messy.

Tuck it into your belt, it won't flop and it will be easily deployed by just nodding your head as you hand the reg off to your buddy. The only time you would have to lift it over your head is if you're in vertical trim as opposed to horizontal.

Pretty clear by that response you didnt read what I said, and are assigning some preconceived notions of what I say and think without paying attention.

Also pretty clear you don't seem to grasp how o-ring and rotary couplers in pressure hoses work, or are being intentionally obtuse ( which is more likely).

Pretty clear by that response you didnt read what I said,
Of course I read it. I simply disagree with your premise of labeling stuff you don't like as "bad". I find it needlessly binary, intellectually dishonest and logically fallacious. It's all good: we just don't think alike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom