Wet-suit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mridude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You would think after hundreds of dives and many different wet suits I would know the answer to this, but still, maybe someone has some good input. Be nice!

My main issue fitting into a wetsuit has always been my athletic build. My chest has a tough time fitting a medium, but large fits like a loose bag! I am barely 5'10" and 164 lbs. 30/31 waist.

Right now I wear a Bare medium/large flex. Great suit, but no matter how I try I cannot zip it up myself or even unzip most of the time.

I bought a new Mares Flexa 3.2.2 wetsuit online. Front zip. I normally size one up from the sizing recommendation, but the store convinced me to use their chart. Love the suit! Easy to put on. Really crazy flexible.

Fits absolutely perfect even in the chest, but it is tight in length from crotch to neck. So tight, I almost feel like it wants to make me bend over. But it still feels great! I don't know whether to dive with it and find out - then I cannot return it, or try to trade it in for a larger size, which will be tough because it came from Europe...

I like the suit so much I am thinking about buying a 5mm.

Any ideas?

Try it.
You won't notice it in the water.
I dive a Flexa 8/6/5 that also feels like its trying to violate me on land, but I don't notice it in the water.

I do love how easy it is to put on.

Try it.
You won't notice it in the water.
I dive a Flexa 8/6/5 that also feels like its trying to violate me on land, but I don't notice it in the water.

I do love how easy it is to put on.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Feels frigging fantastic on land!

I suffered with ill fitting wetsuits for nearly ten years until I tried the two piece Yamamoto open cell freediving wetsuits from MAKO Spearguns. These suits are extremely flexible, form fitting, warm and economical. I have a similar build and the large fits perfectly. There are some idiosyncrasies associated with open cell neoprene wetsuits, but certainly worth it in my estimation. They require lubricant to don and some effort to doff, but this is attributed to the form fit and suction of the raw neoprene to bare skin. The link is to my review if you are interested.

Review: Mako Yamamoto Two Piece Open Cell Wetsuits (3mm and 5mm) MAKO Spearguns

If it is a warm water suit, you could consider Lavacore. You can buy a long sleeve shirt in one size and long pants in another. The pants also come in Short and Long variations.

The struggle is real.

I've got a closet full of wetsuits, and am considering trying a freediving wetsuit because the rumor is they are more flexible than scuba wetsuits. I'm hoping that translates into a better fit.

I also considering a drysuit.

The struggle is real.

I've got a closet full of wetsuits, and am considering trying a freediving wetsuit because the rumor is they are more flexible than scuba wetsuits. I'm hoping that translates into a better fit.

I also considering a drysuit.
Keep in kind there are always trade-offs. If a suit needs to stretch to fit, even easily and comfortably, it means it is also thinner and less warm. Can wear out quicker at seems and zippers, too. Try to fit as close as you can before relying on stretch.

You would think after hundreds of dives and many different wet suits I would know the answer to this, but still, maybe someone has some good input. Be nice!

My main issue fitting into a wetsuit has always been my athletic build. My chest has a tough time fitting a medium, but large fits like a loose bag! I am barely 5'10" and 164 lbs. 30/31 waist.

Right now I wear a Bare medium/large flex. Great suit, but no matter how I try I cannot zip it up myself or even unzip most of the time.

I bought a new Mares Flexa 3.2.2 wetsuit online. Front zip. I normally size one up from the sizing recommendation, but the store convinced me to use their chart. Love the suit! Easy to put on. Really crazy flexible.

Fits absolutely perfect even in the chest, but it is tight in length from crotch to neck. So tight, I almost feel like it wants to make me bend over. But it still feels great! I don't know whether to dive with it and find out - then I cannot return it, or try to trade it in for a larger size, which will be tough because it came from Europe...

I like the suit so much I am thinking about buying a 5mm.

Any ideas?

The company based in Florida is Wetware E-Z on wetsuits, they are at most of the big dive shows. They customize a suit based on every measurement you could think of. I hear good things about the suit, but some complaints are with slow delivery or lack of communication. They also have zippers to the knees and elbows. But I have not owned one but am thinking of getting one.

After trying out several brands and models (looking for a front zip 5mm) I ended up getting the W1 by Waterproof. I'm quite happy with it so far. Only miss the pocket fixture that Mares Flexa has.

I have a wetwear custom wetsuit. Fits like a dream.

I also have a hard to fit body. One of my local shops did a basic measuring for a drysuit and I'm in three different sizes. I got the closest one because it was on clearance but my next will be a custom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom