How many students fail your course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So a provisional is not counted as a fail. Then almost nobody will fail.

If you had looked at the pic in the post above, it should be self-evident ... but so you don’t have to click here we go ...

7694286F-9C55-4888-9E10-59104F5B00B0.jpeg

Checking my records. Over the last 10 years the lesson sign-off has been around 64.7%.

In a club there is no commercial pressure to sign-off; secondly, we go diving with those we train, it’s in our interest to have competent buddies.

I believe that if you take recreational Open Water courses failure rate is pretty low. Only those who can not overcome themselves and can not perform basic skills such us mask clearing, etc. fail. However, if you take serious technical courses like "Full cave", trimix, etc. failure rate should be quite high.

UTD, TDI, PADI

I’ve have no failures as I’ll work with the student until standards are achieved but over almost 20 years I recall about 8 that never completed programs.

So a provisional is not counted as a fail. Then almost nobody will fail.

The amount of divers that stop in cmas clubs here without getting a 1* open water cert is big...

You asked about whether a Fundamentals Provisional pass is a fail, but in your post above you're comparing Fundamentals to open water certification failures.

Entry into Fundamentals requires an open water certification from a recognized agency. It is not an o/w certification course.

Many people who intend to take Fundies practice in advance with GUE mentors on at least core concepts, and generally know what they're getting into, increasing their chances of passing. New o/w certs who don't know any avid divers probably don't know what they don't know.

Not an instructor but I did take OW twice - I didn't fail (got a perfect score on the academics, mastered the skills, could do the swim test and set up my own gear, etc) but I didn't certify because I couldn't physically carry my own tank, let alone walk with all the gear and weights for a cold water shore dive (my dive buddy for the class usually carried my tank for me for the pool sessions otherwise it took forever). The instructor was understanding when I told them why I wouldn't be at the OW certification dives.
Years later, I took the course again and finally certified, but a woman in my class couldn't handle getting her face wet even with the mask on. The instructor and assistant instructor spent a lot of time working with her until she got to the point where she could stand in the pool and put her face (with the mask on) in the water for a few seconds - I don't know if she failed, but I do know she didn't complete even the academic and pool portion of the course.

Since then I've been through a few other courses and haven't noticed anyone fail but have seen quite a few people quit midway though the course. I don't know of anyone passing provisional though I'm sure it happens from time to time.

Checking my records. Over the last 10 years the lesson sign-off has been around 64.7%.

In a club there is no commercial pressure to sign-off; secondly, we go diving with those we train, it’s in our interest to have competent buddies.
I am guessing that is your personal or branch rate of lessons signed off divided by lessons taught.

What would be a very interesting number would be what proportion of sold OD materials result in a q card being issued. Then similar for SD and up.

Probably counts as commercially sensitive though.

As a branch I find that biggest frustration is teaching people who never manage to make it to the end. Sometimes it is them not dedicating enough Wednesday evenings as a priority, sometimes us forgetting them. It is almost never because they cannot learn the skills. You can teach anyone given enough time, although sometimes it is necessary to change instructor.

I am guessing that is your personal or branch rate of lessons signed off divided by lessons taught.

What would be a very interesting number would be what proportion of sold OD materials result in a q card being issued. Then similar for SD and up.

Probably counts as commercially sensitive though.

As a branch I find that biggest frustration is teaching people who never manage to make it to the end. Sometimes it is them not dedicating enough Wednesday evenings as a priority, sometimes us forgetting them. It is almost never because they cannot learn the skills. You can teach anyone given enough time, although sometimes it is necessary to change instructor.

Hi @KenGordon

The certification rate is monitored by HQ. It if difficult to measure as those who only dive in-branch often didn’t bother to get their qualification card, as their Logbook is signed-off in-branch. Its not unusual for an OD trainee (on HQ’s DB) to register for an IFC when there are in reality a DL.

This is the information from the S Scotland monthly training sessions. I don’t know how many went on to complete the individual course.

Within the stats there are lessons where the student got low on gas, got too cold, aborted from equipment failure (drysuit not fitting properly), we don’t fail lessons there recorded a practice sessions. those that didn't meet the standard is much lower. Over the years we've only had a handful where we wouldn't sign-off lessons through total incompetence

Attendees range from one attendance to get the lesson they missed in their Branch to taking the complete open water course over 3/4 months.

Could anyone tell me their failure rates with IANDT Advanced Rec Trimix? Starting in the spring.

Doubles & drysuit if that matters.
Booked a day with an instructor I like (although he's never been my instructor, have only dived with him in the club/a libeaboard) to prepare.
(I'm new with the doubles..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom