I need to repair my Datamask...Any help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I want to know, @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR is how did you figure out that process?

Shoredivr,

50% hunch and 50% experience. From the symptoms, I was pretty sure it was a software or firmware glitch rather than a catastrophic electronic failure. When this happens, to force a hard reset (i.e. shorting the battery terminals) sometimes clears the glitch. Some other times it doesn't. I guess we picked the long straw this time.

Well, I'm certainly thankful you had the experience and hunch. Best Christmas present I could ask for. I find the HUD to be so useful, especially at night and in low vis. If it had a compass it would be perfect. I don't understand why it wasn't more popular and why no one else makes something similar. It's much more sanitary than the NERD...

dmcutter,

Scubapro just put out its Galileo HUD dive computer. DIfferent to the Oceanic you have, this model it's not permanently attached to "a mask". Instead, you can fit it to many of Scubapro's masks (and I believe even some other brand masks). FYI, it does have a compass, has a full OLED display, does trimix, has a rechargable battery and many other goodies. It does not come cheap, though....

dmcutter,

Scubapro just put out its Galileo HUD dive computer. DIfferent to the Oceanic you have, this model it's not permanently attached to "a mask". Instead, you can fit it to many of Scubapro's masks (and I believe even some other brand masks). FYI, it does have a compass, has a full OLED display, does trimix, has a rechargable battery and many other goodies. It does not come cheap, though....

The new HUD display looks like a 1977 version of Tron. Dot matrix printing. Very disappointing. Can’t imagine that they’re selling too many of these. Wazzup with SP and computers? Dud after dud.

I've seen the Galileo and it looks even more cumbersome than the Nerd as far as mounting. My main computer is a Perdix AI so I am a big fan of Shearwater. I just couldn't convince myself that I needed a new HUD $1500 worth. Hopefully the revived Datamask will continue to chug along. You don't have a line on replacement O rings and screws for the battery compartment, do you?

Update...I went to the pool last night to swim laps underwater and proof test the revived Datamask. It made it about 30 minutes then froze up again. Shorting it across the terminals did not reset things this time, though.
I guess I'll suffer with my Atomic which really is much lighter with a better field of view...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom