Typhoon Kammuri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bicol which is to the east of the main island of Luzon took the brunt of the force from the typhoon. No one who I know was injured by the typhoon. Just wading in 2 feet of water in places.

"The biggest number of displaced people was reported in the Bicol region where “Tisoy” made a landfall late Monday evening, with 90,000 families or some 359,000 reported evacuees in Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Naga City, Catanduanes, Masbate, and Sorsogon."

View attachment 553247

:(

Pretty sickening the devastation in some areas and misery for the population. The real problem is the rebuilding of shelter in the small villages / barangay. Contrast that to really not more than heavy rain and moderate wind near Manila. Here in Valencia city not much disruption.

My friends child comfortable and warm with television in the background.....

princebed.jpg

Managed to avoid this typhoon, although dive boats at Dauin were cancelled last Monday and Tuesday with Apo Island trips resuming on Wednesday.

Managed to avoid this typhoon, although dive boats at Dauin were cancelled last Monday and Tuesday with Apo Island trips resuming on Wednesday.

Please tell us more

Bluering, it does seem as though Bicol gets the worst of it every time.

Jonathan, thank you for your update from Anilao. Asia Divers in Puerto Galera were also showing calm diving weather almost right afterwards.

Please tell us more

Nothing more to tell chilly, except it was flat calm on Wednesday.

Still working on my pics for a trip report, which I'll try and finish by the end of this week as I'm chained to my work desk again.

Apo island is awesome though, amazing corals and I need to return with a wide angle lens.

We were out at sea trying to shelter from Tisoy between two islands in the Coron area. The Captain of the boat had to sail into the wind for 18 hours keeping us safe and stable. At no point did I feel that the boat was out of control and I was so surprised that the waves were relatively small compared to what I'm used to seeing when storms hit the UK.

Sadly Apo Reef has been very badly hit. The South East corner near the light house was both physically damaged and very bleached, looking like the fresh water had washed over the corals for a long time. Huge boulders and enormous table corals had been picked up and thrown off the reef top, crashing down the wall to the sea floor below. It looked like a bull dozer had pushed the corals out of the shallows to crash down to the sea floor below. The North West corner was not so badly hit thankfully, but I believe the South East was the nicest part prior to Tisoy.

Still amazed that we managed to dive the morning of the incoming Typhoon before the wind picked up and dived the next day with poor vis but relatively flat calm seas!

We returned to Puerto Galera and the North East monsoon wind certainly made conditions choppy but the reefs seemed in very good condition and there was certainly plenty to see.

Sharon

Currently in Anilao. Most Anilao dive sites were not damaged by Typhoon Kammuri, however two were: Secret Bay and Heidi were swept clean of critters and lost some of their bottom structure in the shallows. A guide who lives above Secret Bay said there were very high waves. Hopefully everything will be back to normal by March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom