Not fully closing schrader-valve on Miflex inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update on this:
I received a new hose with the production-date "2919" (I guess its calender week + year).
That hose still has the same problems..... :(

If you suck on the first stage end of the new hose, does air come in through the schrader valve?

A Miflex I bought earlier this year and threw away for that reason did the same, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Well, it was a good reason to cut it apart to see what's inside these things :wink:

Tightening the valve with a schrader tool will fix this temporarily, but chances are that it will work itself loose again. It should really not happen and Miflex seems to have a real ongoing issue with this.

The latest Miflex I bought does not seem to do it, but I take the tool to it regularly anyway so might not have time to work itself loose.

If you suck on the first stage end of the new hose, does air come in through the schrader valve?

But when the reg is pressurized the BC fitting isn't leaking out correct?

If its not leaking gas OUT why does it matter?

The spring is bad inside but this is just ANOTHER case where milflex's "premium" product is anything but worth it. You can get better braided hoses from other vendors

I happen to have two braided inflator hoses and I tried sucking on the end but could not overcome the spring of the valve in either hose and no air leaked in. One I think is a generic DGX hose and the other a Miflex hose with the number 2009 stamped on it. Nevertheless I don't understand why this is an issue as normally there is no negative pressure in the hose and to do your test you can just plug the end of the hose with your thumb.

But when the reg is pressurized the BC fitting isn't leaking out correct?
Thats correct.
I happen to have two braided inflator hoses and I tried sucking on the end but could not overcome the spring of the valve in either hose and no air leaked in. One I think is a generic DGX hose and the other a Miflex hose with the number 2009 stamped on it.
As mentioned earlier in this thread older miflex hoses i have here are fine, also a new old stock (from 2017) inflator-hose i got is fine.

If its not leaking gas OUT why does it matter?
Nevertheless I don't understand why this is an issue as normally there is no negative pressure in the hose...
I know ideally you soak/clean your regs pressurized. But there are places out there where this is not possible, at least not at a reasonable effort.
So you place them unpressurized into the soak basin. Normally, as long as you don't push the purge button on the second stages, this is absolutly no problem. With my acd sealed first stage i could even place the whole set into the basin (But i don't trust it that much).
Guess what happens when the inflatorhose isn't sealing?

A solution could be to be more carefull with the hose, while soaking, because i now know that it leaks.
But i rather just have a hose on there thats up to spec.

Thats correct.

As mentioned earlier in this thread older miflex hoses i have here are fine, also a new old stock (from 2017) inflator-hose i got is fine.

I know ideally you soak/clean your regs pressurized. But there are places out there where this is not possible, at least not at a reasonable effort.
So you place them unpressurized into the soak basin. Normally, as long as you don't push the purge button on the second stages, this is absolutly no problem. With my acd sealed first stage i could even place the whole set into the basin (But i don't trust it that much).
Guess what happens when the inflatorhose isn't sealing?

A solution could be to be more carefull with the hose, while soaking, because i now know that it leaks.
But i rather just have a hose on there thats up to spec.
The valve is closed by a spring and should not leak unless the pressure difference overcomes the spring. Are you saying that the pressure of the water in the rinse tank is enough to open the valve? It should be an easy way to test this. Just take the hose and dip it with the valve end in the water. Let it sit for a minute, move it around a bit, then take out and see if water got into the hose. I'm skeptical it would leak but the test should tell you. Even a weak spring should seal the water out.

The valve is closed by a spring and should not leak unless the pressure difference overcomes the spring. Are you saying that the pressure of the water in the rinse tank is enough to open the valve? It should be an easy way to test this. Just take the hose and dip it with the valve end in the water. Let it sit for a minute, move it around a bit, then take out and see if water got into the hose. I'm skeptical it would leak but the test should tell you. Even a weak spring should seal the water out.
Already done that. Yes the water leaks through the valve.
Its not like that the water pressure opens it, the valve it just never fully closes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom