Regulator wheezing - apeks xtx 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers,

I have some almost 1 year old apeks xtx 200's, they have only seen about ten dives and it will be 1 year since i first used them from new next month so i will get them serviced then, i took them for a dive recently and noticed on my predive checks that my regulator was making a noise everytime i breathed through it, the best way i could describe it is a wheezing/whistling sound.

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what is going on there and if it is a cause for concern? Last time i used them they were not making that noise, they had been sat for a few months until i used them recently.

thanks

Do regulators suffer from asthma?
Why not, Scubapro 1st stages have been known to squeak for many years.
Your regs probably need a service and certainly need a different lubricant.

Michael

It could simply be the pattern of airflow affecting -- vibrating -- the diaphragm; causing the seat to then rapidly open and close. Additionally, it could potentially be an issue with the first stage, depending upon the manufacturer's design, dealing with -- paradoxically -- either an excess or even a lack of lube on the o-rings, spring, piston, etc.

In other regulators, such as some Poseidon models, it can also be a poorly adjusted pilot valve . . .

All of them or just one?
The HP seat need a bit of lubricant on its stem.
Time to service.

My AquaLung Legend LX Supreme honks when I breathe from it on the surface. I think my XTX50 makes some noise, too.

There isn't that many moving parts, plastic or metal, in Apeks 1st and 2nd stages.
I had the same problem, honking in the 1st stage, on few occasions. A tiny bit of MCG1-11 on the stem of the HP seat as well as the spring solved the issue.

Happened to me on an DST (XTX 50). Someone told me to swap out the main spring for another one. I rebuilt it and the noise went away. I then found out that I still used the old spring. :D

Do you speak about the first or the second stage?
If first: see above.
If second: only on the pre-dive check? Because most second stages will honk or wheez outside the water.

Do you speak about the first or the second stage?
If first: see above.
If second: only on the pre-dive check? Because most second stages will honk or wheez outside the water.
^^^ this.

Of the three Apeks reg sets we have in the family, two honk a little during prebreathing.

Back
Top Bottom