NEW to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your advices

I decided wanna work as a welder/ repair cables on oil platform.
I already know I must get a commercial license as far as diving, but the welding part I have no idea on how to go about it. Do I get a regular welder license or is there a special license? also is there one program I can get the scuba commercial license plus welder certification at the same time or I have to do it separate?

Thank you all for your advices

I decided wanna work as a welder/ repair cables on oil platform.
I already know I must get a commercial license as far as diving, but the welding part I have no idea on how to go about it. Do I get a regular welder license or is there a special license? also is there one program I can get the scuba commercial license plus welder certification at the same time or I have to do it separate?
Then I suggest your look here.

Welcome.

I would reconsider the underwater welder part, I know the pay is really good but the injury rate is close to 100 percent with a very high mortality rate.

I also would reconsider this option. It is a very hard work, very well paid, but it is not for everyone. You must have special physical and psychological capabilities.
And you also need a substantial technical knowledge, as the pre-requisite is everywhere to start the training only when you have already an high school diploma in technical topics.
After having witnessed in person the hard work on the platforms which my friend and instructor Fabio did for two years, and comparing it with the 5 years of very nice work that I and my wife did in touristic resorts, I would never choose the first and always go for the second....
Money is not everything in your life, what's the purpose of getting 5000 USD/month after taxes, if you are living on a platform for 9 months a year, talking only with the same 6 people, risking your life every day in muddy and cold waters, etc...?
Life in resorts was like paradise in comparison, you are among young, cute people ready to enjoy the life and be your friends (or more) for a few days, splashing in crystal-clear water making photos to sharks, manta rays, lobsters, and colourful reef, eating top-level international cousine at the resort's restaurant, spending the evening dancing or taking part in cabaret performances...
Ok, at the end of the year you look at your bank account and you see that is almost empty, as the year before, but who cares? You did live like a multi-millionaire, who else can spend so many months in those luxury resorts, doing the sports you love? Even multi-millionaires cannot do that, as they have duties and meetings and no time for enjoying their life!

Seems simple.
--Commercial diving for the money (apparently in addition to the risks, you can't do this forever--like maybe not much after age 30-35?)
--Teaching. Poor pay. Divemastering courses or charter boats-- Many work for tips and perks. The $ is not there. Yes, you can go up the certification ladder, find a teaching "niche" and make a decent wage. ...... Maybe ......
--Become a multi-millionaire. They probably can take time off to do what they want--if they really want to do that.
I'll take the money.

If you want to see some of the scuba jobs that are out there in the US, go to indeed.com and type in "scuba". The job descriptions will tell you what their requirements are. It is actually interesting to see what comes up. Good luck.

Hi im also new in Diving just been in course training for 2 weeks now with frog dive and i'm very happy cant wait to be a professional diver

My father was a commercial diver for less than 2 years, inspecting cleaning, painting and greasing undersea equipment and ships. Very hard cold work but better paid than general dock work. Despite it being a reserved occupation he gave it up to join the RAF when WW2 started. After the war he never returned to full time diving. I have known several north sea divers / underwater welders. What most had in common was a desire only to do it for a short time or find another job ASAP.
With regards to leisure diving, unless you own the training outfit and don't have much competition you are unlikely to make money.
Edit - My brother still works for a company that does undersea repairs and his comment a few days ago (nothing to do with this forum) was that it was some time since they had used divers, all the work was now done by ROVs.

If you do want to go the route of commercial diving, before you buy your first mask, learn to weld. Check out the larger welding supply companies, some actually offer free or subsidized schooling for it. (Miller, Lincoln, ect). Welder's are in high demand everywhere. And underwater welders even more. And not just N Sea, throughout the USA, road work, power plants, bridge work, basically infrastructure.

If you are still serious, then (with your welding skills) go to a commercial diving school.

Well, I did forget to mention another possibility for working under the sea: to be a researcher involved in some underwater topic.
Which is actually my position.
I am an acoustician, and since 22 years I make experiments about underwater acoustics. Very nice, well paid, not dangerous, wonderful diving sites, everyday something new.
Of course you need proper academic instruction, nowadays a PhD is almost mandatory for being hired by an university or a research lab...
But I would consider also this option, if you like science.
Here you see the research center where I made a lot of experiments, two years ago: MaRHE Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom