Is the Apeks MTX-RC really as good a cold water regulator as the MTX-R?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived and dissasembled the mtx, it's not a good reg.

Bad materials used, questionable desing and worse wob than a ****** rental reg.
The “poor” WOB on the MTX-R is from the military design requirements - it should continue to supply air no matter what, WOB is secondary. The MTX-RC adds back the consumer friendly controls that allow adjusting for better WOB. Again, no published specs yet for the newest item.

...it should continue to supply air no matter what, WOB is secondary.

Sounds like a good plan to me. With few exceptions, I believe that WOB is overrated and has more to do with comfort than safety.

Bob

How can a regulator be serviced specifically for cold water use?
No one on this thread said any such thing. What is the context for your question?

The closest I can think of, is when servicing a regulator designed for cold water use, first and foremost is to service it as the manufacturer instructs. Beyond that, if allowable ranges of IP and cracking effort are specified, I might tune it towards the higher end of the IP range and towards the lower end of the cracking effort range for a diver that is only using it on warm water dives for better breathing performance, or to a lower IP and a higher cracking effort for a diver that is actually diving it cold, for better resistance to freezing. But all within the allowed MFGR specified ranges.

Sounds like a good plan to me. With few exceptions, I believe that WOB is overrated and has more to do with comfort than safety.

Bob
For this one, looks like the testing for NEDU and other military partners includes for octopus use, 60M, extreme (0.5°C) cold water. Doesn't mention the breathing rate, but you can be sure it is isn't conservative.
Here is a link to the military version if anyone is curious. I am surprised to see an adjustable venturi in the photo, even though the MTX-R doesn't have one. Don't know if that is an error in the photo, or an odd choice in the MTX-R "consumer" configuration.
MTX Regulator

I am surprised to see an adjustable venturi in the photo, even though the MTX-R doesn't have one.

The first sentence removes it from the military version. "...was developed in accordance with...", instead of, the same regulator as used by...

That would explain the differences you note.

Bob

The first sentence removes it from the military version. "...was developed in accordance with...", instead of, the same regulator as used by...

That would explain the differences you note.

Bob
From what I know of it, that phrasing is very specific. It was designed to meet the newest NEDU cold water requirements, but has not yet been signed off on and/or adopted by the NEDU. For that matter, I don't think there is any regulator from any manufacturer that is approved for the newest NEDU design requirements - testing is not completed. So I don't think anyone can make a "used by" claim within the context of the most recent NEDU requirements. If anyone closer to the process has more info to post, please weigh in.

Are you suggesting that the XTX 200 might be a better choice? Would it be a good cold water regulator for ice diving?
The 200 is just a blinged out XTX50.
If you can get it for the same price as a XTX50, sure go ahead.

I used a XTX200/50 with FSR first stages for a year and they always performed flawlessly down to 4 degrees celsius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom